• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

want to create forum site based on software product

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dhecker

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts, California, Texas.

I am a California corporation, also operating in Mass. My servers are located in Texas :)

I am a software consultant and I work with Rational Software products. Rational Software is a huge, old company with loads of products. There is no single website to support the community except rational.com and I want to provide a non-corporate alternative for all the other consultants out there.

So, I'd like to start with a forum site (like this one) called something like:

rationaltalk.com
rationalforums.com
rationalhq.com

or something along those lines... Rational is an ordinary word, but also their trademarked name. Clearly, I am referencing the software but it's also quite realistic to interpret the phrase 'rational talk' as literal.

Can I do this without getting shut down by rational's legal team?

HomeGuru

dhecker said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts, California, Texas.

I am a California corporation, also operating in Mass. My servers are located in Texas :)

I am a software consultant and I work with Rational Software products. Rational Software is a huge, old company with loads of products. There is no single website to support the community except rational.com and I want to provide a non-corporate alternative for all the other consultants out there.

So, I'd like to start with a forum site (like this one) called something like:

rationaltalk.com
rationalforums.com
rationalhq.com

or something along those lines... Rational is an ordinary word, but also their trademarked name. Clearly, I am referencing the software but it's also quite realistic to interpret the phrase 'rational talk' as literal.

Can I do this without getting shut down by rational's legal team?

**A: I don't know, but it appears that if you use the same name that you will be skating on thin ice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">