• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Website Copy-write

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Purdueboy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I am interested in starting a website containing funny pictures. I would retrieve these pictures online through a search engine and edit them with funny comments. I would like to place ads on my website to get revenue. Would I have to worry about copy-write claims and is this legal?

Similar to this website www.lolpix.com

Last edited:

justalayman

so, you want to take somebody else's copyrighted images and use them on your own website.

You cannot use the copyrighted images owned by somebody else unless you have their permission to do so.

Purdueboy

As well how do disclaimers work? By stating that these images are not works of my own and since they are available publicly would this not free me of legal responsibility?

justalayman

that is not "fair use". Not even close. here is a link to a site from the copyright office concerning fair use: U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use

and the argument of "somebody else is doing it" just doesn't cut it in court.

disclaimers mean nothing.

You either negotiate the use of the copyrighted material or risk being sued and spending a lot of money defending yourself and paying damage awards.

Purdueboy

Its fair-use when I put artists music on my you-tube videos so wouldn't it be fair-use to put artists pictures on my website?

Purdueboy

Well youtube takes it down so that doesn't happen and apparently I convinced that that it wouldn't since they put it back up?

justalayman

it's up to the owner of the copyrights to take the next step once it is taken down and you reply. If they do not respond accordingly, youtube is not the decider of fact so they simply presume the copyright owner has either decided not to continue their efforts or they do not have the right to make the demands they have.

That does not mean it is legal and it doesn't mean the copyright owner isn't mounting a lawsuit as I type.

Regardless what you want to believe, it is not fair use to use copyrighted music as your own without permission from the copyright owner.

FlyingRon

Well youtube takes it down so that doesn't happen and apparently I convinced that that it wouldn't since they put it back up?
YouTube as stated only removes things upon the notice of the copyright holders.

Further, I believe YouTube has negotiated a deal with certain of the record companies to allow the use of their music as backing for amateur videos in exchange for them hot linking back to where people can buy the music.

Besides, you are NOT google. Google has lots of money and lots of lawyers and still fights a lot of IP battles (and not always successfully).

And gosh darn it. The word is "COPYRIGHT" as in the right to copy, NOT WRITE (and no blasted hyphen either).

Purdueboy

I am not google o_O If I was id have lots of diseases from so many people using me :( I don't really understand copyrite :confused:

Mass_Shyster

I don't really understand copyrite :confused:
Copyright is pretty easy. If you create something, you, and only you, have the right to make a copy.

Giving someone a copy of your material does not give them a right to make a copy.

In the same way, if someone takes a photograph and uploads (copies) it to the internet, he or she does not relinquish his or her sole right to make copies.

If you make a copy of someone else's original work, you have violated their right control copies.

The Occultist

I don't really understand copyrite :confused:
Nobody blames you. IP law, especially in the states, is HIGHLY complicated.

Let me make this simple: do not copy anything unless you made it, or you have [preferably written] permission from the person who did. Do not try and figure out "Fair Use" (Fair Use isn't some kind of magical password that allows you to copy anything; Fair Use is determined by a judge AFTER a lawsuit that costs you way too much money).

The easiest way to stay out of trouble: assume you cannot use anything that anybody else created.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">