• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Website Copyright Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

90s Fan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi,

I've recently created a 90's website. It basically just shares my memories of various things from growing up in the 90's (tv shows, music, movies, etc). I have a section with various youtube videos embedded (90's music vidoes, and some intros to 90's tv shows). I also make a couple blog posts a week where I review something from the 90's (for example, a review of a particular season of a 90's tv show, a 90's movie, or a 90's album). I only use 1 image at the beginning of the review, and it's usually just a picture of that particular show's DVD cover, or an album cover.

I've read through hundreds of different copyright websites/blogs when creating my site, and each one of them seems to have slightly different opinions on fair use. I'm also signed up for Amazon Associates, so any review that I make, I provide a link for the viewer to buy that show/movie/album. Also, my reviews are usually on the more positive side...everything is about fun 90's memories. So, really if anything I'm promoting this stuff. As I said, I have an Amazon Associates account, and a Google Adsense account (which I haven't put on the site yet). So, I would only be potentially making money from those 2 things.

I was just curious if anything here sounds like it could ever be considered copyright infringement. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

FlyingRon

For review purposes, you can assert fair use. It won't protect you from being sued, but it will be a defense. However remixing or otherwise using other's material without permission outside the review of it is infringing and you'd be best advised to seek permission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">