• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Website Idea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bowwowad512

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have an idea to start a website/blog with my personal writings. I do not plan to offer services now, but may want to do so in the future. Should I copyright the work on my page and trademark my name and symbol for the blog?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have an idea to start a website/blog with my personal writings. I do not plan to offer services now, but may want to do so in the future. Should I copyright the work on my page and trademark my name and symbol for the blog?
The name and symbol you use to identify your blog will be your trademark just with your use of them as your website's identifier. There is no need to do anything further - although you can register the name and symbol with the United States Trademark Office if you want additional protection for your marks. Visit the USPTO website for information on registration: http://www.uspto.gov

What you write on your website/blog is automatically protected under copyright laws, as long as your writings are more creative and original than the white pages of a telephone book. As with trademarks, there is nothing additional you need to do to have this protection, but you can register your writings and your website with the United States Copyright Office for important benefits (like being eligible for statutory damages if someone infringes your works). Visit the Copyright Office for information on registration: http://www.copyright.gov

Good luck with your website/blog.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">