• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Website Ownership-Copyright laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bpappin

A friend freely gave me a website that my organization uses, now that we are becoming sucessful he is claiming that I do not own the webite or code to use it and is demanding that I delete the site.

I do have a email string showing that he freely gave the website to me to use and a witness to the fact that he willingly gave me the website and all contents.

Am I within my rights to use the site, content and code?

I live in Texas - USA

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A friend freely gave me a website that my organization uses, now that we are becoming sucessful he is claiming that I do not own the webite or code to use it and is demanding that I delete the site.

I do have a email string showing that he freely gave the website to me to use and a witness to the fact that he willingly gave me the website and all contents.

Am I within my rights to use the site, content and code?

I live in Texas - USA
I do have a email string showing that he freely gave the website to me to use
Even your own post shows that you know you merely have a license to use the content, not ownership.
YOUR claim is that the license had no limit on it and that it can't be rescinded as he is trying to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">