• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Website put up but client failed to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jason_b

Hi,

I am a web developer/designer and am the copyright owner of a website.

The website was uploaded to a client's host and the client then changes all login details to prevent my access.

The client has subsequently failed to pay for the work done on the website and refuses to take it down.

The website is hosted in the United States however I am based in the United Kingdom. The client is based in Ireland.

What steps do I need to take to get the site taken down as I am a bit overwhelmed by the relevant law?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This forum deals with US law only. You need to deal with this in your home country.

quincy

Hi,

I am a web developer/designer and am the copyright owner of a website.

The website was uploaded to a client's host and the client then changes all login details to prevent my access.

The client has subsequently failed to pay for the work done on the website and refuses to take it down.

The website is hosted in the United States however I am based in the United Kingdom. The client is based in Ireland.

What steps do I need to take to get the site taken down as I am a bit overwhelmed by the relevant law?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance.
While Zigner is correct that you will have to handle this from the U.K., even if you are in the U.K. you are able to take advantage of the United State's Digital Millinennium Copyright Act's takedown procedure. The DMCA allows for the removal of infringing material from a U.S.-based location online.

Toward the end of this post, I have provided for you a link to access information on the DMCA notice and on how to handle infringing material from sites outside the U.S. The "brainz.org" site explains the DMCA takedown procedure about as well and as simply as any site I have run across.

If you are the website's copyright holder, therefore, you can have your copyrighted material removed (although the removal can be challenged by your client in Ireland).

But, if you wish to take any legal action against your client in Ireland, to recover what is owed you, you will need to do this in Ireland, in Irish courts and under the laws of Ireland.

Here is the link to "DMCA Takedown 101" from the brainz.org site: http://brainz.org/dmca-takedown-101/

Good luck.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Quincy - why does the OP feel that he's the copyright holder? I think that's an important question...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">