• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is The Best Path?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rsvale7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Brazil

Hello dear lawyers. I would appreciate if you could help me with a legal question.

I am a musician (guitar player) and I want to do cover music videos for Youtube playing only instruments (without voice).

You know hundreds of artists does cover on youtube on a daily basis. It not means it is legal.

I've researched and I noticed that we need a "synch license" in order to use a music in a video and post it to public.

But in some cases it is not needed (for Parodies and for Fair Use).

Well, even many artists do cover everyday, I like to sleep well knowing that I am breaking no laws or rights.

So, what you think should be the best path for me to go?

1. Do parodies: make an instrumental music and change two words at the end of the song (hardly audible).

2. Teach people how to play that song (more likely to be considered fair use?)

3. Other?

This is very important to me, I would appreciate if you repply.

Thank you very much!

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Brazil

Hello dear lawyers. I would appreciate if you could help me with a legal question.

I am a musician (guitar player) and I want to do cover music videos for Youtube playing only instruments (without voice).

You know hundreds of artists does cover on youtube on a daily basis. It not means it is legal.

I've researched and I noticed that we need a "synch license" in order to use a music in a video and post it to public.

But in some cases it is not needed (for Parodies and for Fair Use).

Well, even many artists do cover everyday, I like to sleep well knowing that I am breaking no laws or rights.

So, what you think should be the best path for me to go?

1. Do parodies: make an instrumental music and change two words at the end of the song (hardly audible).

2. Teach people how to play that song (more likely to be considered fair use?)

3. Other?

This is very important to me, I would appreciate if you repply.

Thank you very much!
rsvale, you can check out intellectual property laws in Brazil at http://www.cultura.gov.br. U.S. copyright laws can be reviewed at http://www.copyright.gov. Then check out YouTube's terms and conditions for posting videos.

1. In the U.S., your idea of parodies would be wrong.
2. In the U.S., your idea of fair use would be wrong.
3. In the U.S., it is entirely possibly that your "other" would be wrong. ;)

I recommend you consult with an attorney in Brazil and go over with this attorney your plans for creating musical videos for publication online. The attorney can educate you on the laws that apply to recording copyrighted music, and the attorney can assist you in acquiring the proper licenses so you avoid an infringement suit.

Good luck.

quincy

Well, rsvale7, I am afraid I was not much help, seeing as how I am in the U.S. and you are in Brazil and the laws are very different in our countries, but I really appreciate the thanks. :)

I wish you good luck with your music videos and musical career.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">