• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do: 3rd party posts incorrect data re: my Company on web & refuses to fix it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ribl

What to do: 3rd party posts incorrect data re: my Company on web & refuses to fix it?

I have a business, registered as an LLC, in California. It's been in use since 2002.

I've registered my Logo and Slogan as ServiceMarks in the state of CA.

My domain name is rpoeperly registered, and in use on an active website.

My company name, address info, and web URL are consistently used/displayed across my company registrations, my website and domain whois info.

One of the internet's largest "data aggregators" has posted several web pages on their publicly available website that displays my Company Name and my website URL as attached to a an INCORRECT address, and company description -- some other address, in a another state, and a description that has nothing to do with me or my company.

The aggregator is big. They're venture-capital funded.

Since the data aggregator drives way more traffic than my company, it's their incorrect and unauthorized posting that returns in Google, etc., web searches. People 'researching' my company via ssearch are driven to incorrect info about my company.

I am not this Data Aggregator's customer. Never have been, and never will be. I, frankly, want nothing to do with them, ever.

That said, at the very least I want that incorrect info removed from their site, and them to refrain from ever doing it again.

I've repeatedly contacted the aggregator repeated via phone (no direct answers, no returned voice messages), their online "Removal" forms, their published 'general' (abuse@, support@, remove@, etc) email addresses, direct email to their executives, and to the emails of their VC advisors. I've also contacted their upstream ISP -- a major US telecommunications firm -- both by email (no response) and by phone (usual runaround, and finally some flunky's "Not our problem" speech).

To date, none of the aformentioned parties have either done anything to remove any of the information I've flagged as incorrect/authorized, or even bothered to respond.

Given their collective refusal to do anything, what are my legal options to get this fixed -- i.e., REMOVED from the web?

As I understand, my Company Name and URL are not copyrightable. Without that, a DMCA 'takedown' doesn't appear to be an option.

What tools do I have?

quincy

I have a business, registered as an LLC, in California. It's been in use since 2002.

I've registered my Logo and Slogan as ServiceMarks in the state of CA.

My domain name is rpoeperly registered, and in use on an active website.

My company name, address info, and web URL are consistently used/displayed across my company registrations, my website and domain whois info.

One of the internet's largest "data aggregators" has posted several web pages on their publicly available website that displays my Company Name and my website URL as attached to a an INCORRECT address, and company description -- some other address, in a another state, and a description that has nothing to do with me or my company.

The aggregator is big. They're venture-capital funded.

Since the data aggregator drives way more traffic than my company, it's their incorrect and unauthorized posting that returns in Google, etc., web searches. People 'researching' my company via ssearch are driven to incorrect info about my company.

I am not this Data Aggregator's customer. Never have been, and never will be. I, frankly, want nothing to do with them, ever.

That said, at the very least I want that incorrect info removed from their site, and them to refrain from ever doing it again.

I've repeatedly contacted the aggregator repeated via phone (no direct answers, no returned voice messages), their online "Removal" forms, their published 'general' (abuse@, support@, remove@, etc) email addresses, direct email to their executives, and to the emails of their VC advisors. I've also contacted their upstream ISP -- a major US telecommunications firm -- both by email (no response) and by phone (usual runaround, and finally some flunky's "Not our problem" speech).

To date, none of the aformentioned parties have either done anything to remove any of the information I've flagged as incorrect/authorized, or even bothered to respond.

Given their collective refusal to do anything, what are my legal options to get this fixed -- i.e., REMOVED from the web?

As I understand, my Company Name and URL are not copyrightable. Without that, a DMCA 'takedown' doesn't appear to be an option.

What tools do I have?
I suggest you contact an attorney in your area for a personal review of the facts, this to determine what your options are and how likely they are to be successful. Sometimes a strongly-worded letter from an attorney to the company in question can work better than emails and phone calls. It indicates to the company that an attorney has been contacted and legal action is already being considered.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">