• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the legality of arranging horn charts based on anothers work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vblp

What is the name of your state? New York

i am in a band that uses horns for a good portion of our performances (like Chicago- trumpets, etc.). because we are for the most part a cover band, i write up the arrangements for the horns based on what i hear on the original record. i do not have the original sheet music in front of me, rather i interpret what i beleive are the right notes. most of the time, it sounds very similar to the original, but it is doubtful that all of the notes are exactly the same. is this an intellectual proprty issue?

HomeGuru

vblp said:
What is the name of your state? New York

i am in a band that uses horns for a good portion of our performances (like Chicago- trumpets, etc.). because we are for the most part a cover band, i write up the arrangements for the horns based on what i hear on the original record. i do not have the original sheet music in front of me, rather i interpret what i beleive are the right notes. most of the time, it sounds very similar to the original, but it is doubtful that all of the notes are exactly the same. is this an intellectual proprty issue?

**A: keep up the good work. Chicago and Tower of Power horn sections are right on. Depending upon the interpretation, you may have a copyright and royalty issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">