• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are Licensing Issues for Fan Clubs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davekmv

I am thinking about buying a web site that is a fan site for a popular animated character. Let's say it's Bugs Bunny.

I'm planning to make some money from advertising and a membership fee to this site.

My question is around copyright and licensing for a "fan club" kind of site. Do I need to license the image of Bugs Bunny? What if I include on the site a game that I create entirely but using Bugs Bunny's likeness or image?

Thanks

TigerD

I'm planning to make some money from advertising and a membership fee to this site.
Then it isn't a fan site, but rather a business based on capitalizing on someone else's creative work. And that is most definitely the quick road to being sued -- especially if that someone else is Disney.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">