• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights in this matter as a photographer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sr789

I posted some of my photos on the internet years ago under a Creative Commons Attribution license (Attribution 3.0 Unported (CC BY 3.0)). The images have since been used for book covers, album covers, printed in magazines/newspapers, appeared on posters, t-shirts. mugs etc. In most cases they added my name as being the creator but in a few cases they have been used commercially without any attribution.

What are my rights as the copyright holder/creator in this case? Would a lawsuit gain anything or is it simply not worth the hassle?

quincy

I posted some of my photos on the internet years ago under a Creative Commons Attribution license (Attribution 3.0 Unported (CC BY 3.0)). The images have since been used for book covers, album covers, printed in magazines/newspapers, appeared on posters, t-shirts. mugs etc. In most cases they added my name as being the creator but in a few cases they have been used commercially without any attribution.

What are my rights as the copyright holder/creator in this case? Would a lawsuit gain anything or is it simply not worth the hassle?
What is the name of your state, sr789, or, if not in the U.S., what is the name of your country?

quincy

I live in the Netherlands.
I'm sorry, sr789, but this forum handles U.S. law questions only.

I suggest you find a legal forum or an attorney in the Netherlands for help with your question, after reading over carefully the terms and conditions of your Creative Commons license.

While copyright laws are similar in many ways throughout the world, they also vary in significant ways.

Good luck.

sr789

I'm sorry, sr789, but this forum handles U.S. law questions only.

I suggest you find a legal forum or an attorney in the Netherlands for help with your question, after reading over carefully the terms and conditions of your Creative Commons license.

While copyright laws are similar in many ways throughout the world, they also vary in significant ways.

Good luck.
Alright, will do that. Thank you very much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">