• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is the need to put a disclamer on a religious book?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

otaku3230

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New york

I am writing my own self-help religion book with my own personal advice and opinions. Is it necessary that I have to put a disclaimer for some reason? I am not using any copyright work. Therefore, should I put a disclaimer or not so I don't have to deal with people suing me because they didn't like my personal advices and opinion?

FlyingRon

I've never seen such a disclaimer (not to say they don't exist). A disclaimer won't prevent lawsuits, and probably is of little consequence if a lawsuit does occur.

quincy

Should the personal advice and opinions you offer in your religious self-help book make mention of any identifiable person or entity, a carefully-worded disclaimer can help to mitigate any damages awarded in a lawsuit, in the event the identifiable person or entity takes issue with anything you write.

But Flying Ron is right that a disclaimer will not prevent a lawsuit.

justalayman

more often it isn't that a suit would result from somebody not liking your advice but rather somebody that took your advice and either did not get the suggested results or even worse, was injured do to following your advice. Injury can include financial, physical, and mental. including a disclaimer might help stave off liability, but then again, maybe not. Depends on how good each parties lawyers are:D

quincy

That is why the wise author/publisher carries liability insurance, in the event a lawsuit arises over the content of the book. No telling what someone will sue over nowadays. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">