• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the process to stop someone from using my trademark?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZERO HEROES

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I'd like to know the process (what an attorney will do) to stop someone from violating a trademark. Everything from mailing them a C&D letter to actually going to court. I want to be educated.

Please do not tell m to contact an attorney, that it not what I'm asking. Thanks.

FlyingRon

Joe, You've already gotten all the advice you're going to get in your first thread. If they ignored your letter, a lawyer's letterhead might convince them you are serious.

By the way, if you're the Texas band, you should stop lying and saying you have registration on the trademark, which you do not. You appear to have failed to renew it and the registration is canceled.

Filing federal lawsuits isn't something we can educate you on here. Even the NOLO books on Trademarks is prettly lean on litigation (and really recommend you try not to).

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I'd like to know the process (what an attorney will do) to stop someone from violating a trademark. Everything from mailing them a C&D letter to actually going to court. I want to be educated.

Please do not tell m to contact an attorney, that it not what I'm asking. Thanks.
I am not a lawyer, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night (I don't know how Ron can afford that every night).

Here are some expected steps:

#1) Cash retainer check
#2) intake interview - get the facts from you
#3) Assign research and investigation to junior associate (JA) in order to comply with Rule 11 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure
#4) JA reads statute and locates similar cases.
#5) JA prepares memo describing likely outcome
#6) Partners review memo and decide if they will take case
#6a) If not taking case, refund remaining funds from retainer
Note: If Ron is correct that you don't have a valid trademark, this is where the attorney's involvement ends
#7) Prepare and send cease and desist letter
#8) File Complaint with court (google trademark complaint for example) for injunction and damages
#8a) Complaint will likely contain demand for jury trial on triable issues (damages)
#8b) Complaint will request attorney fees
#9) Defendant files answer, alleging Rule 11 violation, and seeking dismissal under Rule 12(b)(6)

<insert defendant filing counter-claim here>

#10) Both Plaintiff and Defendant move for Summary Judgment

<insert hearing for preliminary injunction here>

#11) Discovery begins
#12) Negotiations for settlement begin
#13) Trial begins
#14) Both Plaintiff and Defendant move for Judgment as a matter of law
#15) Jury decides on damages
#16) Judge decides on injunction

losing party begins bankruptcy proceedings

quincy

Oops. I just discovered this second post by ZH. I posted to the first one - but I MUCH prefer the answers given here to the one I provided.

Nice to see you back, FlyingRon. The Occulist and I were wondering where you had disappeared to.

Love your answer, Steve - especially the last line! :D

ZERO HEROES

Joe, You've already gotten all the advice you're going to get in your first thread. If they ignored your letter, a lawyer's letterhead might convince them you are serious. By the way, if you're the Texas band, you should stop lying and saying you have registration on the trademark, which you do not. You appear to have failed to renew it and the registration is canceled.

That has nothing to do with what I'm asking. It may be best that you just ignore me and not reply... or stick to what I asked and you wont have a problem from me.

Last edited:

ZERO HEROES

I am not a lawyer, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night (I don't know how Ron can afford that every night).

Here are some expected steps:

#1) Cash retainer check
#2) intake interview - get the facts from you
#3) Assign research and investigation to junior associate (JA) in order to comply with Rule 11 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure
#4) JA reads statute and locates similar cases.
#5) JA prepares memo describing likely outcome
#6) Partners review memo and decide if they will take case
#6a) If not taking case, refund remaining funds from retainer
Note: If Ron is correct that you don't have a valid trademark, this is where the attorney's involvement ends
#7) Prepare and send cease and desist letter
#8) File Complaint with court (google trademark complaint for example) for injunction and damages
#8a) Complaint will likely contain demand for jury trial on triable issues (damages)
#8b) Complaint will request attorney fees
#9) Defendant files answer, alleging Rule 11 violation, and seeking dismissal under Rule 12(b)(6)

<insert defendant filing counter-claim here>

#10) Both Plaintiff and Defendant move for Summary Judgment

<insert hearing for preliminary injunction here>

#11) Discovery begins
#12) Negotiations for settlement begin
#13) Trial begins
#14) Both Plaintiff and Defendant move for Judgment as a matter of law
#15) Jury decides on damages
#16) Judge decides on injunction

losing party begins bankruptcy proceedings

Thank you, that is what I wanted to know. BTW, is it typical that an injunction is issued?

Last edited:

ZERO HEROES

Oops. I just discovered this second post by ZH. I posted to the first one - but I MUCH prefer the answers given here to the one I provided. Nice to see you back, FlyingRon. The Occulist and I were wondering where you had disappeared to. Love your answer, Steve - especially the last line! :D

Second thread since the other was pointless IMO. I'm not here to argue and waste anyone's time. I would hope others would give me the same.

Mass_Shyster

Thank you, that is what I wanted to know. BTW, is it typical that an injunction is issued?
It is typical that an injunction is requested. An injunction is never assured, so can not be called 'typical'. That is why I listed the injunction and the award of damages as separate line items.

You may get neither, one, or both.

ZERO HEROES

It is typical that an injunction is requested. An injunction is never assured, so can not be called 'typical'. That is why I listed the injunction and the award of damages as separate line items.

You may get neither, one, or both.
Thank you very much.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Second thread since the other was pointless IMO. I'm not here to argue and waste anyone's time. I would hope others would give me the same.
You know - you really are demanding of a site manned by volunteers. If you don't like the answers, or if you don't think they fit what you want to hear, pay an attorney.

(I suggest other responders check out the OP's other thread too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">