• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the state of an expatriate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nomadreid

Although I am a US citizen, I reside outside of the US. I will wish to apply for a copyright in the US, but on the corresponding form, I am asked my state, and there is no possibility for anything besides a US state. What do I do in that case? (I am a registered voter in NY state, if that is of any help, but I do not have a legal residence there.)

divgradcurl

Although I am a US citizen, I reside outside of the US. I will wish to apply for a copyright in the US, but on the corresponding form, I am asked my state, and there is no possibility for anything besides a US state. What do I do in that case? (I am a registered voter in NY state, if that is of any help, but I do not have a legal residence there.)
Are you trying to use the electronic form? If you select "U.S. Citizen" I believe it defaults to a list of states. You may need to file this using a hard copy, in which case you could still state you were a U.S. citizen but then would enter your country where you are domiciled (where you live) in the "state" field.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">