• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who may file

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

corydean

This is in Colorado. I am a unemployed paralegal. I have a friend who has an invention he wishes to patent but has no money. May I file a for a patent for him as long as he knows I am not a registered agent or an attorney. He wants my help. Can I fill out the form for him as long as he knows I would not be recognized by the Patent Board if things arise?

ALawyer

This seems to be a question as to the unauthorized practice of law. Quite frankly, I doi not know how the Colorado law applies, if at all. BUT if the person really is a friend, and you are NOT providing legal services, and simply are assiting him by performing doing clerical or similar services as a favor, I doubt you'd be sued.

However, patents are hard to get and hiring a real patent lawyer or licensed patent agent is likley in your friend's best interests.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">