• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

would i get in trouble for this...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snapmaster

sorry for posting twice - i posted in wrong section - im not going to spam this forum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am a college student. If i have a local company make me a t shirt that ends up being copyright infringement will i get in trouble? I do not know if the shirt i am making (to sell ONLINE to kids at my school for a concert) breaks any copyright laws. The company that is making the shirt (local) says that there are no copyright issues...but what if there are? will i get in trouble? if so i dont want them produced...

thanks

quincy

snapmaster, I think Proserpina was probably responding to a post here that has now been deleted. ;)

A copyright or trademark owner would be entitled to file an infringement suit against both you and the local company printing the tee-shirts if you, without authorization from the copyright or trademark holder, used an image or words on your tee-shirt that violated their rights.

For instance, if you use a photographic image on your tee-shirt of, say, Cold Play, to advertise their upcoming college concert, the photographer who took the photo could potentially sue you for using that photographic image without his permission.

If your tee-shirt is of original design, however, and you have not "borrowed" anyone else's work to create it, then you have little to worry about. In addition, facts are not copyrightable, so you can say, "Cold Play appearing at such and such arena on such and such a date." Facts are considered to be in the public domain.

Without seeing the tee-shirt in question, it is impossible to say if the printing and sales of your tee-shirt could attract a cease and desist letter or a lawsuit. If you are concerned that you may be violating someone's rights with the printing and sale of the shirt, you could have an attorney take a look at it. I would not necessarily rely on the word of the printers. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">