• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

It would be ok to use trademark logos in my portfolio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverplum

I just field that people lost track of the point. Is not that im not being creative or I dont want to be original. Those skills are shown in other works of the portfolio. the logos i will use are only for show my skills to use the tools on the Adobe illustrator program like silverplum said. And like I said in a previous post quincy post links of copyright companies, but they only state that i cant use their logo for commercial use but i can for personal use. So show my porfolio to companies to shown my habillities on the adobe programs (not my creativity) will pass as a commercial use?
No, you are still wrong/mistaken/pick a word that means not correct.

You can take your own photo and vectorize it. Go outside (or stay in!) and take a photo. Load the photo onto your computer. Vectorize it. Place it in your portfolio alongside the original photo as a "before-and-after." Problem solved. ;):)

quincy

No, you are still wrong/mistaken/pick a word that means not correct.

You can take your own photo and vectorize it. Go outside (or stay in!) and take a photo. Load the photo onto your computer. Vectorize it. Place it in your portfolio alongside the original photo as a "before-and-after." Problem solved. ;):)
I like your idea, Silverplum.

You're hired! :D

justalayman

S/He wants to vectorize existing logos, to show the ability to vectorize use Adobe Illustrator. (There are no synonyms for "vectorize." :cool:)

I am aware of that but I see no purpose of using an existing logo. Converting an image into a vector image is converting an image into a vector image. It doesn't have to be some existing company's logo. It can be one of the OP's own creation.

Silverplum

I am aware of that but I see no purpose of using an existing logo. Converting an image into a vector image is converting an image into a vector image. It doesn't have to be some existing company's logo. It can be one of the OP's own creation.
You're right!

When you're right, you're right. (/Howard's Mother; watching BBT right now. :cool:)

quincy

I'm too busy to vectorize -- I've been trying to PM you, with your full in-box from your vast fan base. ;)
I have emptied my message box (although I am keeping the message sent to me from a fan that only says "YOUR WRONG!!!!" - I smile every time I see "your"). :)

edit to add: justalayman, look at Silverplum's Post #16

Last edited:

Silverplum

I have emptied my message box (although I am keeping the message sent to me from a fan that only says "YOUR WRONG!!!!" - I smile every time I see "your"). :)
I keep a couple of funnies, too. :p

(Now I have time to vectorize, but if pressed will find another reason to avoid work.)

claycad82

I know this is a few weeks old so don't know if it will be helpful to the OP, but I minored in graphic design in college and have had a few design jobs here and there. Now I've been hiring several freelance graphic designers to help promote my new startup.

As a potential employer, I wouldn't be impressed with your ability to copy someone else's work. Being able to trace an image or logo from a low resolution photo is pretty much a basic skill. I'm assuming by even applying you have the basic skills, I wouldn't want my time wasted by you even showing me that.

The best graphic designers that I have seen ALWAYS start their designs with pencil and paper, not a computer. Design your logo by sketching it out on paper, scan it, then trace it in Illustrator. NOW THAT is what would impress me as a potential employer. Getting a portfolio together is hard work. If you have to take a job flipping burgers and mopping floors for a while longer to get a good portfolio together than do that. I would suggest donating your time and ability to mom and pop shops like others suggested. Having logos that real businesses are using that you designed is impressive to an employer, and the word of mouth advertising you can get can pay off big time. You can also find lots of contests online where you can win real money for your work. Enter some of those.

Using logos like land rover and pepsi in your portfolio could construe the false message that you had something to do with designing those logos. While I would say you would be safe by using it for personal use, it has the potential to convey the wrong message to an employer by making them think you worked for these big name companies, and any good employer is going to be more impressed by your original work, not work you traced. Tracing a low res logo in illustrator is as easy as going to Object > Image Trace > Make...not a skill worth bragging about.

quincy

... I'm assuming by even applying you have the basic skills, I wouldn't want my time wasted by you even showing me that ...
That is a good point.

Applicants for any job will generally meet all the basic qualifications for the job, or they wouldn't be applying for the job. For a graphic designer, a portfolio should be used to showcase any special talents or unique abilities that go beyond the basics required for the job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">