• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would be partner using my work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdiver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

About a year ago I was hired (no contract) to develop a chat application and website for an individual. After completing the initial website (for which I was paid), he approached me about forming a partnership with him in his business, which I agreed to move forward with. Over the next 6 months I designed a logo, created a tagline, and further developed the website and the chat application. During that time we had an attorney working on a contract but my would be partner was always dragging his feet and it was never finalized. Two weeks ago he suddenly stopped returning my calls or emails and has transferred the website, locking me out of the site and server (I had paid for half the hosting), and is now using the site and everything I created in its entirety. He sent a brief letter saying he was "moving in a different direction" with his company.

None of the work I did was under a work for hire and I was doing the work under the premise of forming a partnership, for which we had a verbal agreement. Since he has unilaterally terminated that, does he have any right to use the work I did? Can I insist he stop using my work? And if he refuses, what right do I have to collect damages? (He is making money from the site and my chat application, plus using my logo and tagline for promotion.)

Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">