• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Writing a book with interviews

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cobak04

I live in California and am attempting to write a how-to book. I need to interview people and have case studies but I am unsure of the legal precautions I must take. I will be using their name and information and I was wondering what kind of lawyer I would talk with. Also is there any general sample agreements out there that I can use as a template for their agreement. I know I have to have them agree to allow me to use thier name and information but I was wondering what language and steps I need to take in order to protect myself from future law suits regaurding that information. I am a new author and I do not have a publisher to cover this kind of information for me. Thanks

quincy

Although written interview releases are not always necessary, they are ALWAYS wise to get, as they can help prevent against any infringement, invasion of privacy or defamation action arising from your work. In addition, many if not most publishers will require consent forms before they will publish your book.

You would want to talk to an attorney who is experienced in publishing and business law, and you will want an attorney to review your work prior to publication. There are several sources to consult when trying to locate an attorney who specializes in book publishing and writers - including this site. The California State Bar Association can also direct you to a lawyer who handles writers, as can the M artindale-Hubbel Law Directory.

For a good sample "Interview Release" you can go to the following site, which also has some good information and tips on interviewing:

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter12/12-d.html.

One additional piece of advice: Having insurance to cover your written work, should a lawsuit arise despite your best efforts to avoid one, is important.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">