• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Writings deleted without notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New Mexico
It was something that happened to me at a Christian Forum. I did not break any of the rules that I was aware of, I was not directly offensive to anyone, no swearing, name calling, nothing. Just pure debate, some of the best debating I've ever done. I started a thread called "Let's talk about Hell" and within about 2 to 3 hours the thread already had at least 60 replies, but probably more. I was typing responses so fast I thought my fingers would fall off. Suddenly, the site went down. Then it came back up and it all started again and the debate got even better. Then the site went down again. It never came back up. I thought it was something in my computer because my internet was working fine everywhere else. The next morning I saw the site was still down, so I tried my laptop. Sure enough, their site came up. I didn't log in, instead I went straight to the forum where my thread was. It wasn't there, it had been deleted I guess. So I tried logging in, as soon as I hit enter, the page gave me a http 404 again. I tried it at the library and the same thing happened, only I checked to see if my posts on other threads were still there, not only had my thread been deleted, but every post I'd done on the site was gone. Well as it turns out, they have ebanned me. It was deliberate.

Here's the problem with this. My thread was called "Let's talk about Hell". My opening statement was I think perhaps the best thing I'd ever written, seriously. It was a description of an eternity in Hell. Very chilling I must say. One of the commenter's wanted to take it to her church and share it with the congregation, to scare people into salvation I guess, don't know.
I came to understand that they have a rule for no debating. I did not realize that at the time. It was my fault for not reading the rules properly. And had I realized this rule I would have never entered the site. The fact that they banned me from their site is not what I am mad about. What I consider the injustice is that they deleted all that I wrote and did not give me any warning whatsoever. Had they come on and told me I was violating a rule and warned me to leave or they would delete the thread, then I would not be writing this. But I recieved no warning at all, no notice of the coming deltion, nothing. Just poof, my writings were gone.

What can I do to try and get them back? I've alred been conversing with them by email to no avail. I believe they have the ability to retrieve my writings but are unwilling to do so becasue they fear what I have to say. Help!

. it is their site. What makes you think they have to warn you about anything. Even if they said they would, you would still have no action if they didn't as it is their website and they make the rules and apply them as they want.

they have no responsibility to retain your postings and even if they did, there is no requirement they supply a copy to you.

Sorry but you don't have anything here.

You might try a google search. A lot of times you can find cached items such as you seek.
No doubt you are correct. I knew this was a shot in the dark to even try and see if there was legal recourse. However, whether or not they had the right to do this action, it was a clear injustice. Because one, what they did was highly unsusual among forums (I got that from the site administrator of one of the largest forums on the net, single threads of 500,000 posts) and two, the punishment extremely out weighs the crime. It's like getting a life sentence for an ounce of pot. And three, they have done nothing to cooperate to retrieve the writing (my thread starter is all I've wanted back) even though I was very tamed in the asking. But they kept blowing it off, finally suggesting what you just did, try google. It didn't help.

they are not administering law. They are running their website how they want and there is no law against doing what they did.

If they do not want to assist you and you cannot find your posts via a google search, there really isn't anything you can do about it.

it is what it is.
Well you are most likely correct again. But I'll keep poking around anyway. Some lawyer may relate and see a way into the law with this, perhaps a challenge. Or I may just settle for continued exposure about it as a legal injustice.

The fact is, the membership joined in the debate as deep as I did. Imagine if right I now I were typing this response given the time I've posted this thread. In comparison to what happened on that thread, I would have had 5 posts waiting for my reply. Now, does that sound like I was interfering with something? They seemed as eager to fight as I. No one ask me to leave, no one mentioned the rule to me, they just debated me. They were involved in the crime as well; none of them got deleted.

Proserpina

Well you are most likely correct again. But I'll keep poking around anyway. Some lawyer may relate and see a way into the law with this, perhaps a challenge. Or I may just settle for continued exposure about it as a legal injustice.

The fact is, the membership joined in the debate as deep as I did. Imagine if right I now I were typing this response given the time I've posted this thread. In comparison to what happened on that thread, I would have had 5 posts waiting for my reply. Now, does that sound like I was interfering with something? They seemed as eager to fight as I. No one ask me to leave, no one mentioned the rule to me, they just debated me. They were involved in the crime as well; none of them got deleted.

Do you realize that threads here can be deleted by the moderators, too?

This is a legal site. Now, if it's possible and legal for that to happen here...what makes you think it's not possible and legal for it to happen where you post?

You have no "right" to post anywhere. It is always and completely up to the moderators of the forum.

Google cache may help you retrieve your original posts, but the site certainly has no obligation whatsoever to do anything at all. They are also under no obligation to treat you the same as they may treat other members.

Do you realize that threads here can be deleted by the moderators, too?

This is a legal site. Now, if it's possible and legal for that to happen here...what makes you think it's not possible and legal for it to happen where you post?

You have no "right" to post anywhere. It is always and completely up to the moderators of the forum.

Google cache may help you retrieve your original posts, but the site certainly has no obligation whatsoever to do anything at all. They are also under no obligation to treat you the same as they may treat other members.
Of course I realize that. I'm not obligated to allow someone to trespass on my land. Does that mean I can shoot them?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Okay, Drama Queen, this isn't the place to debate your moral outrage and indignity at having some forum postings deleted. This is a resource for legal information and, from a legal perspective, you have no recourse. Period.

the real truth about this

I know I am not going to get my writing back. I know it can be done, but I know they will not do it. And they will never admit that they deleted my thread because of a rule, but instead deleted it out of fear.

If I would have come on their site like an idiot saying crazy innuendos; they would have left the post for their own posterity to show how stupid the unbelievers are. But with my thread, they were simply afraid of I what I said, and deleted it from their minds.

They had about 7 to 10 other members involved in that same debate, I was replying to them. Did they get ebanned? No. It was fear, not some rule that caused their action. That being said, they were not punishing me, they were censoring me. And whether or not they had the legal right to do so is one thing. But was it a fair and just execution of rights? Of course not.

Okay, Drama Queen, this isn't the place to debate your moral outrage and indignity at having some forum postings deleted. This is a resource for legal information and, from a legal perspective, you have no recourse. Period.
I respect your opinion, but I will hold out a while longer for another, thanks.

Which BTW, is'nt their a recourse for unfair punishment or sentencing? I'm sure some judge has sentenced somone unjustly and a case appealed somwhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">