• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Youtube: Is it legal to create slideshows from Internet Pics?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

s5264147

I'm in the state of TN.

Hey,

What's up people. I've got another quick question------this time about Youtube:

Is it legal to create slideshows from Internet Pics and post them on Youtube? I see tons of people doing this all the time, but I was wondering if it was legal.

My plan is to create original audio content, then, in order to qualify as video content, I will gather various images off the web to compile a slideshow.

For instance, if my topic is dating, then I was going to get pics of famous and unknown people on dates off the internet and then create a slideshow to coincide with my audio presentation. I see people on Youtube doing this all the time, but I was wondering if this is actually legal.

I won't be selling any of the images or the video version of my show at any point in the future---------but I will be selling just the audio versions (only) as mp3 files at some future date though.

Anybody know if this'll be legal or not?

Thanks in advance for yor input folks.

s5

justalayman

as long as you own the pictures or have permission from the person that does own the pictures, you are fine. Other than that, it is illegal.

they aren't your pictures. You can't use other peoples property without their permission.

s5264147

Hey, thanks for your response Justalayaman.

Wow, so what you're telling me is that all of these Youtube videos are really illegal?

Why is it you think that no one is trying to sue these guys or trying to get them to take those photos down?

Do you think these folks are just flying under the radar because they're so "small", or is it because the problem is so rampant that most copyright owners don't have the time or resources to hunt down every violater?

Regardless, it looks like I better focus on doing a search for royalty free image websites.

Thanks again.

s5

swalsh411

Youtube only takes down flagrant violations of copyright or when the copyright holder complains because they are in the business of hosting videos. They aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot by taking down every video that might possibly be infringing because then people would stop making, uploading, and viewing videos and they would lose eyeballs and money.

Most any picture on wikipedia can be used for what you want to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">