• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

08 Elantra Airbags did not deploy.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Josh89

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I was in a front end collision in our (me and my girlfriends) brand new 08 Hyndai Elantra a few weeks ago. I hit a patch of ice and went off-road, Hit a rock bigger then my entire upper body, bounced into the air, then slammed into the side of a hill. Initial repair estimate was over $8,000. Since they have found 3 other things wrong on the car in the course of repair. The front end buckled and the radiator was actually touching my engine block. And alas, on top of all of that, the airbags failed to deploy. I got away with a concussion and a broken nose, lost over a week of work because i had to get xrays and a catscan before i was allowed to return. Should I try to take any legal action here, or is there no case?

Please excuse any typos or grammar errors. I was in a hurry when I wrote this. Thanks in advance for any and all help I receive.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

=Josh89;2179247] The front end buckled
it is designed to do this. It is called a crumple zone and is designed to crumple upon impact to absorb the forces of the crash so you don't.
and the radiator was actually touching my engine block.
well, that will happen when you hit a rock, or a hard place. Now, if you were in between a rock and a hard place and still had this happen, then, I would be concerned.
And alas, on top of all of that, the airbags failed to deploy.
the bags are designed to deploy in only certain types of crashes. If the energy vectors of this crash do not coincide with the design vectors utilized to control activation of the air bags, they will not deploy. or; the bags or controllers were defective if they should have deployed.

Have no way of really telling without an engineering study of the accident.
I got away with a concussion and a broken nose
IF the bags would have made no difference, you were not injured due to the fault of the bags not deploying. As such, you would have no claim what-so-ever for defective airbags.
Should I try to take any legal action here, or is there no case?
as I stated above, it is impossible to determine, over the internet, whether the bags should have deployed or if it would have made any difference to your injuries. If there is a defective engineering case, it appears you injuries are minimal and as such, the winnings would be similar.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I was in a front end collision in our (me and my girlfriends) brand new 08 Hyndai Elantra a few weeks ago. I hit a patch of ice and went off-road, Hit a rock bigger then my entire upper body, bounced into the air, then slammed into the side of a hill. Initial repair estimate was over $8,000. Since they have found 3 other things wrong on the car in the course of repair. The front end buckled and the radiator was actually touching my engine block. And alas, on top of all of that, the airbags failed to deploy. I got away with a concussion and a broken nose, lost over a week of work because i had to get xrays and a catscan before i was allowed to return. Should I try to take any legal action here, or is there no case?

Please excuse any typos or grammar errors. I was in a hurry when I wrote this. Thanks in advance for any and all help I receive.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

**A: I don't see any legal action here unless you have credible evidence that the air bags were defective.

Josh89

Okay thanks guys, I had a lot of friends and family members telling me to contact an attorney but I seen this website and decided to post here first. I appreciate the input and opinions. I will probably not pursue this unless someone has something else to add.

VeronicaLodge

i bet he wouldnt have a broken nose nor possibly the concussion if the air bag had deployed. i would for one would be pissed if my 2008 airbag didnt deploy.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
i bet he wouldnt have a broken nose nor possibly the concussion if the air bag had deployed. i would for one would be pissed if my 2008 airbag didnt deploy.
Airbags are NOT designed to deploy in EVERY accident. There is a very specific range of circumstances that will cause them to deploy.

ecmst12

Noses can be broken BY airbags, and concussions can be caused by hitting your head on the head rest as well as the steering wheel (happened to me), which an airbag would not prevent. The airbags didn't go off due to the height of the impact, I'd guess, and that would be by design not defect.

If you want to know if you have defective airbags, you will have to ask your dealer to do an inspection.

VeronicaLodge

well we all know what talking about "what could have happened" gets us.

im just saying i would definitely follow up and find out more information if i was in a head on collision and was injured and my air bag in a new car didnt deploy. i wouldnt summarily dismiss it or my injuries. but thats just me :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">