• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2005 chevy aveo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jesicraker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I bought a 05 chevy aveo in august of 05. I have had nothing but problems since I bought the vehicle. The biggest problem though was that the idler stuck at full-throttle and burnt the timing belt off. GM said that they could do nothing for me because it had 98,000 miles on it. Whether I had done the repair or not, there was a recall on this vehicle for the same problem, yet they told me that the problem was vin specific only. I have replaced the engine on my own because they would not help me and the very same thing happened to an 05 chevy aveo engine I bought off of lowmileageengines.com. Only this engine had only 18k miles on it. My car should have been involved in the recall in the first place and it seems as if the problem is not in fact vin specific but a problem with all of the engines with only a matter of time being involved. Unless GM was selling their recalled engines to lowmileageengines.com

Antigone*

I bought a 05 chevy aveo in august of 05. I have had nothing but problems since I bought the vehicle. The biggest problem though was that the idler stuck at full-throttle and burnt the timing belt off. GM said that they could do nothing for me because it had 98,000 miles on it. Whether I had done the repair or not, there was a recall on this vehicle for the same problem, yet they told me that the problem was vin specific only. I have replaced the engine on my own because they would not help me and the very same thing happened to an 05 chevy aveo engine I bought off of lowmileageengines.com. Only this engine had only 18k miles on it. My car should have been involved in the recall in the first place and it seems as if the problem is not in fact vin specific but a problem with all of the engines with only a matter of time being involved. Unless GM was selling their recalled engines to lowmileageengines.com
Nice story:rolleyes:

shubh

what are you waiting for

Till know you should have approached to consumer forums after giving legal notice to the company. For what are you waiting even after four yrs?

I_Got_Banned

I don’t know where you get your information from but the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has what is called “Office of Defect Investigation” where consumer complaints are filed and investigated with the manufacturer to determine whether a certain problem can be deemed prevalent enough to warrant a recall by the manufacturer.

There is a website ( Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) )where you can search for such information by year, make, model and problem to determine whether a problem you have with your car was part of a recall by the manufacturer.

According to that website, there were no recalls whatsoever announced by Chevrolet (or Chevy for that matter) for a 2005 Chevrolet Aveo. Yes there was an investigation conducted into a sticking throttle problem on 57 of the 119,458 Chevrolet Aveo’s GM sold in 2004 & 2005.

However, only 2 of those 57 reported the problem to the O. D. I. that did involve an engine problem, however, there was no mention of timing belts burning out nor was it related to a defective engine. That particular investigation was related to ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM:EMISSION CONTROL:CRANKCASE (PCV) and it was deemed to be a temperature related issue.

There was a Technical Service Bulletin that was issued but a TSB is not a recall. That TSB was in fact, as you stated VIN specific. Here is what it stated:

CRANKCASE CONTAMINATION DUE TO COOLANT IN THE ENGINE OIL - RESEAL CASTING PLUG. WITH BUILT BEFORE VIN BREAKPOINT 8B067818 (JULY 24, 2007) & 1.6L ENGINE (VIN 6 - RPO L91 OR LXT). *NJ
Again, there was no U.S. recall of Chevrolet Aveo’s although GM did have a none U.S. recall (on Aveo’s sold in Canada) of that same model for that same problem but that was because the sticky throttle problem was deemed to have been weather related and was more prevalent in climates where temps reached below zero for most of the winter season.

You can read about those 2 cases from the dates they were started to the time they were terminated here:
NHTSA ODI - Defect Investigations Documents

And here:
NHTSA ODI - Defect Investigations Documents

By the way, the 57 cases reported to GM by owners of 2004 and 2005 Aveo’s as a percentage of the 119,458 Aveo’s GM sold in 2004 and 2005 comes out to 0.000477%. I don't think that's gonna warrant a recall!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">