• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

4 yr old Microwave - Electrical Fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Florida (only U.S. law)?

In October by 4 yrs old convection oven ( Microwave ) had an electrical fire. It is out of warranty. It cost $700 new. The maker sent a tech too look at it and have come back with a take or leave it offer to replace the unit for $170. I still feel given it nearly burned down my house I am owed a free replacement. DO I have any legal options? I just want a replacement oven, there was no serious burn damage to my kitchen that I can touch up with paint.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Florida (only U.S. law)?

In October by 4 yrs old convection oven ( Microwave ) had an electrical fire. It is out of warranty. It cost $700 new. The maker sent a tech too look at it and have come back with a take or leave it offer to replace the unit for $170. I still feel given it nearly burned down my house I am owed a free replacement. DO I have any legal options? I just want a replacement oven, there was no serious burn damage to my kitchen that I can touch up with paint.
You aren't due the value of a new unit. You're due the value of a 4 year old unit. Is that value $170? I dunno.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And you don't get to collect damages based on what might have happened or even what nearly happened - only on what did happen.

CJane

Florida (only U.S. law)?

Huh?

:confused:

justalayman

Unless you have an unusually long warranty you should feel blessed the manufacture is doing anything.

If you do have a warranty you are due whatever the warranty says you are owed.

Proserpina

Florida (only U.S. law)?

Yeah..you kind of have to pick one.

There's either no serious damage, or your house nearly burned down.

T'aint both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">