• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

access to records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

glb1976

I am in California. Last year, I was involved in a situation that required me to seek medical attention. The situation was emotionally based and caused me to seek psychiatric counseling due to the anxiety.

Late last year, I ended up filing a case in small claims court, and when I requested from my doctor the records of the case for evidence, he was very uncooperative. Although the reason that I sought treatment in the first place was due to the reasons in the case, he stalled, and ended up only giving documentation that I was under his care.

The case in Small Claims was lost, and now the case is going to be filed in a higher court. Everything that I discussed with this doctor revolved around the issues stemming from this case, and I now need all documentation from our sessions. Are there requirements for the notes that were taken during our sessions? How can I demand my own patient records? THus far, I have met with uncooperation.

pele

You have an absolute right to your medical records. I am sure it is the same with psychiatry. Usually if the patient wants the records sent to them they have to pay, if the patient has them sent to another physician it is usually free. Contact your local medical society. You should have an attorney mabye???

P

PamSJS

Most states now have laws regarding patient access to their own medical and/or psychiatric records. If your psychiatrist has been uncooperative, he is in violation of your states medical boards rules and regulations governing the practice of psychiatry.

Contact the California Board of Medical Examiners ASAP and file a complaint. I assure you, your records will be on their way to you in no time.

Good Luck!

Pam

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">