• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of selling expired baby formula

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbunne11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I recently purchased a box of Similac pre-mixed baby formula with several containers inside. I quickly realized that my son cannot use this type of formula because it upsets his stomach. I sold the remaining unopened containers to someone who saw my ad on Facebook. She later accused me that they were expired and filed a false police report against me. I still have one left from the box that is NOT expired and am positive that the ones sold were also still good (they were all purchased together). I also looked at the expiration dates before selling them so I know they were good. She insists that I give her money back, but I feel she is just trying to get free stuff. Is there any legal action she can take against me? Should I be worried?

Adam G

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I recently purchased a box of Similac pre-mixed baby formula with several containers inside. I quickly realized that my son cannot use this type of formula because it upsets his stomach. I sold the remaining unopened containers to someone who saw my ad on Facebook. She later accused me that they were expired and filed a false police report against me. I still have one left from the box that is NOT expired and am positive that the ones sold were also still good (they were all purchased together). I also looked at the expiration dates before selling them so I know they were good. She insists that I give her money back, but I feel she is just trying to get free stuff. Is there any legal action she can take against me? Should I be worried?
The only way I would be worried is if the kid got sick from it. Then she would actually have damages and could theoretically turn it into some sort of fraud claim. I wouldn't sweat the cops getting involved.

swalsh411

She is just trying to rip you off. Ignore her. Block her email. Do not respond. If the cops show up show them the bottle that isn't expired and explain they were all part of the same lot. I HIGHLY doubt the cops are going to care unless a baby gets sick. For all we know she doesn't even have a baby and just runs this scam on people.

davidsmith29

Do not give the money back

You have the proof that what you sell was good.
I hope that she is not so stupid to give to the baby the expired baby formula.
Cheers.

Proseguru

Food does not have expiration dates; only best used by dates. No case, at least criminally. Civilly, maybe.

One should never re-sell food ... you are just begging for trouble.

You said you purchased them at the same time and the remaining battle in your possession is not expired so you don't have to worry about it. Do she have proof of what she is claiming? Even if she report you to the police it's not a problem because like what you said you have a proof to prove your innocence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">