• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Airbag did not deploy (TOYOTA Corolla 2003)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kiwicat83

What is the name of your state? Utah

Hello,

I have a Toyota Corolla (2003). I had 2 major car accidents with it including the one today. Both times my car was totaled, but the airbag did not pop out.

The first time, my car was moving by a drive through of Del Taco and heading to another store. A teenage boy backup his truck from the drive through really fast without looking, and my front bumper on the passenger side was hit really bad. The car wasn't able to move smoothly, nobody was hurt though. Air bag didn't pop out.

Today, I was in the back of a white truck. A car cut in front of him really fast so he had to hit his break fast, and I did the same thing, however, it did not give me enough time to stop so I hit the left corner of his back bumper with my right front bumper. He just got a dent, but my car was again totalled. My forehead hit the windshield, so far I feel normal and the windshield is fine. However, the airbag did not deploy again.
I could be hurt really bad, luckily nothing happened.

Does anyone think it's a defect that the airbag never pop out? :confused:
My bf said I should sue the car company, I haven't decided yet since I don't know much about cars. If anyone could give some advises, that'd be great.

Thanks and drive safely!

Some Random Guy

For similar stories to see if this is a more widespread problem, try using the intenet.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=toyota+seat+belt+airbag+deploy+corolla

Airbags are sometimes designed not to deply based on the speed of the crash and the type of accident (what angle the car was hit from). Cannot tell from your post if that would apply here, but...

You have 3 significant problems with any case for the latest crash:
1. You were driving a salvaged vehicle (had already been totalled)
2. You were aware that the airbag failed to deploy in a previous crash and never had it repaired.
3. Your (minor) injuries were caused by not wearing a seat belt.

Are you aware that an airbag can cause serious injuries to an unbelted driver?

racer72

No auto manufacturer claims that the airbags will deploy in all accidents. And based on your post, neither hit was in the center of the bumper where the airbag sensor is located. You have no claims.

Warped

You should be thankful the air bag didn't go off this time. You obviously weren't wearing your seat belt so if it had gone off, you'd have took the air bag in your chest as you face-planted into the windshield. Learn a lesson, wear your seat belt!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">