• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Airbag didn't work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SkyWife

What is the name of your state? SC

I was involved in a three vehicle accident, one of the cars spun over into my lane. I hit the drivers door of the car with the front of my truck. All three vehicles were traveling at highway spend (60 mph) so the amount of force involved should have caused the airbag in my truck to blow but it didn't. I had my seatbeat on but still hit the stirring wheel, causing a good bit of damage to my chest and shoulder. The truck has been well maintained and was in great shape. My question is, is the auto manufactor liable?

Some Random Guy

The problem with airbags is that they don't protect from every conceivable situation. If the vehicle you hit was moving across your path of travel, then there may have been enough sideways momentum to cause the computer to think that triggering the airbag would not have helped, and may have caused more injuries.

Is this a newer car that has one of those "black boxes" that records data during a crash. Many new cars have them without the driver even knowing about it. You may find the data on there useful in a lawsuit, though you would need to spend significant money to have it analyzed and testified about.

Also, has the car ever had work on it in relation to the computer, dashboard or steering wheel? If so, the manufacturer may claim that the body work was done improperly and the airbag was inadvertently disabled.

The problem with airbags is that they don't protect from every conceivable situation. If the vehicle you hit was moving across your path of travel, then there may have been enough sideways momentum to cause the computer to think that triggering the airbag would not have helped, and may have caused more injuries.
Exactly.

Unfortunately, OP, you do not state the year, make, or model of your truck therefore no one can give you any exact information.

But I do have to tell you..from personal experience..even when the air bag does do its job (and you have restraints on)...you will still will receive many bruises from the steering wheel.

The air bag is only meant to prevent major damage. And by the way...the burn (kinda like a MAJOR rug burn) from the air bag does not feel good either.

And SRG was correct..if the impact initially occurred at a side angle...the bag would have not gone off. It is mainly meant for head-on collisions.

SkyWife

I am not sure I could have hit more head on than I did, entire front end of the truck was damaged.

The truck is a 2000 Ford Ranger and the only work that has been done to it was general maintance, regular oil, plugs changes etc.

I have heard that the airbags can cause burns, but somehow I think that would be minor compared to what I ended up with.

Thanks for your replies.

racer72

Your biggest problem is a disclaimer every manufacturer supplies with each vehicle sold. It states that airbags may deploy unexpectedly without being involved in an accident and that airbags will not deploy in every accident situation. Courts have repeatedly sided with the manufacturers when it comes to the issues of airbags. It is part of the requirement for installing airbags in motor vehicles, the manufacturers asked for and were granted some liability relief. Do talk to a local attorney about your situation but don't expect much.

Exactly.

Unfortunately, OP, you do not state the year, make, or model of your truck therefore no one can give you any exact information.

But I do have to tell you..from personal experience..even when the air bag does do its job (and you have restraints on)...you will still will receive many bruises from the steering wheel.

The air bag is only meant to prevent major damage. And by the way...the burn (kinda like a MAJOR rug burn) from the air bag does not feel good either.

And SRG was correct..if the impact initially occurred at a side angle...the bag would have not gone off. It is mainly meant for head-on collisions.
I co-sign these statements. My face swelled up afterwards....much better than banging my head on the steering wheel tho'

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">