• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Airbag failure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sissy1

I had a finder bender in May, the airbags deployed. It was all repaired by insurance. Airbags repaired/replaced. 2 weeks ago I totaled my F150 but the airbags did not deploy this time. I have pictures, the police report which states airbags did not deploy. I just got a laceration to my chest and neck from seat belt. Is this something i should followup with in Georgia?

FlyingRon

Airbags deploy only in certain types of collisions. Even if the airbags deploy that doesn't mean you're not going to be thrown against the seatbelts. Follow up with whom and for what reason? You haven't won the lawsuit lottery.

quincy

I had a finder bender in May, the airbags deployed. It was all repaired by insurance. Airbags repaired/replaced. 2 weeks ago I totaled my F150 but the airbags did not deploy this time. I have pictures, the police report which states airbags did not deploy. I just got a laceration to my chest and neck from seat belt. Is this something i should followup with in Georgia?
Although the Ford F150s have had airbag issues which has resulted in recalls, it appears that the airbags in your truck worked as they should have in your first accident. This does not appear to be a product defect, therefore. What it appears to be instead is a failure by whoever installed the replacement airbags to install them properly. For that, you could have a legal action to consider.

You might want to consult with a products liability/personal injury attorney in your area of Georgia to rule out a product defect but I think your legal recourse, if any, will be against the installer of the replacement airbags.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Although the Ford F150s have had airbag issues which has resulted in recalls, it appears that the airbags in your truck worked as they should have in your first accident. This does not appear to be a product defect, therefore. What it appears to be instead is a failure by whoever installed the replacement airbags to install them properly. For that, you could have a legal action to consider.

You might want to consult with a products liability/personal injury attorney in your area of Georgia to rule out a product defect but I think your legal recourse, if any, will be against the installer of the replacement airbags.

Good luck.
I agree with FlyingRon on this one. Airbags aren't designed to deploy in every type of accident. I don't think that the lack of deployment (not "failure") may not be any sort of defect in product or installation.

quincy

I agree with FlyingRon on this one. Airbags aren't designed to deploy in every type of accident. I don't think that the lack of deployment (not "failure") may not be any sort of defect in product or installation.
And I don't necessarily disagree with either you or FlyingRon.

But when airbags have deployed once before in a relatively minor accident and the airbags replaced, and then in a subsequent accident where the car is totaled these newly installed airbags do not deploy, there is a legitimate question as to why.

The explanation is not always going to be that "airbags aren't designed to deploy in every type of accident."

That said, if the vehicle was totaled and sissy1 walked away from the accident with no serious injury (only minor injuries from the seat belt), and insurance is once again going to cover the losses, there may not be any legal action worth considering from a financial standpoint - this even if there was a problem with the airbags.

I believe it could be worth an attorney's review. It is, of course, up to sissy1.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">