• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Allergic reaction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pfarph

I had surgery to repair an umbillica hernia 3 years ago. The repair job didn't hold up and I needed a second surgery (using the same surgeon) this past October. This time, he inserted a mesh to aid in the repair. Two days after the surgery, I developed a small rash on my thighs. The rash spread and now covers my entire body. I have two opions- from my family doctor and from a dermotoligist- that say the rash is a result of the mesh. I will have to contact my surgeon and schedule yet another surgery to have it removed. This is a tough surgery that will put me down for several weeks. I will have to use up vacation and/or sick time from work and when I get back to work I will not be able to perform all of my duties for a while. Keep in mind I just went through this 3 months ago. I'm actually just getting back to normal, as far as what I'm able to lift and carry. To go through this again will be very difficult
My question is, do I have a lawsuit especially considering I was not warned of the possibility of an adverse reaction and no tests were done to see if my body could tolerate the mesh?
Thanks,
Pfarph (Jeff)

vrzirn

The various types of plastic-Gore-Tex, polypropylene, dacron, are remarkably inert and are commonly used to help repair a hernia. Look on the surgical consent you signed and see if any adverse response is listed. Pre-surgical tests for response to the mesh are not done.
I wonder if you may have "shingles". What did your surgeon say?I do not think you have any kind of suit with any chance of recovering money damages.

vrzirn

Your post says "allergic reaction" and then you refer to "adverse reaction". They are entirely different things and no one can predict an "allergic response".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">