• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any advice for this one? Auto related

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MomIsNutz

What is the name of your state? Georgia

We bought a car in October,2005. This car, a 2001 Dodge Stratus, was immaculate. No wear, no tear or so we thought. Since purchasing the car we have put 6 tires on it! Why? The front end keeps somehow scrubbing them to where the metal shows. I was driving on Sunday morning and had a blow out with my 3 children in the car. Some key points I must address:
1) I specifically asked for a carfax report and was told, "Sure for 20 bux" I then said their signs said free. The sales guy quickly changed the subject. I should have pushed for one, but didn't. However, I did ask if the vehicle was involved in any accidents and recieved no for an answer.
2) The front tires were bad that were on the car. The salesman said, we could replace them at his cost. His cost was astronomical, so we went elsewhere.
3) He asked me to not mention "this to the finance company."
Anyway, after the blowout, I finally pulled a carfax report myself. There is an accident listed as minor on the report. However, when I took my car to tires and then an alignment, the mechanic told me that the tires could be aligned only so much because the frame was bent. I know that when a police officer writes the accident report he doesn't check the frame and such, so to him it probably looked minor, it wasn't. There are all sorts of "little" things involved here. The car was bought at a very reputable dealership and I called them. The General Manager had me bring my car in on Monday evening so his mechanics could look at it as well and he made the promise that whatever happens, we will be satisfied. He also said that car was a lawsuit waiting to happen. My question it, what can I legally expect out of this? I don't want to sue or anything, I just want a dependable car that looks good. Could I make them in a figure of speech, trade up? Give me another vehicle that is actually worth more but cut to my car's price to make up for all of this? Thanks!

seniorjudge

MomIsNutz said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

We bought a car in October,2005. This car, a 2001 Dodge Stratus, was immaculate. No wear, no tear or so we thought. Since purchasing the car we have put 6 tires on it! Why? The front end keeps somehow scrubbing them to where the metal shows. I was driving on Sunday morning and had a blow out with my 3 children in the car. Some key points I must address:
1) I specifically asked for a carfax report and was told, "Sure for 20 bux" I then said their signs said free. The sales guy quickly changed the subject. I should have pushed for one, but didn't. However, I did ask if the vehicle was involved in any accidents and recieved no for an answer.
2) The front tires were bad that were on the car. The salesman said, we could replace them at his cost. His cost was astronomical, so we went elsewhere.
3) He asked me to not mention "this to the finance company."
Anyway, after the blowout, I finally pulled a carfax report myself. There is an accident listed as minor on the report. However, when I took my car to tires and then an alignment, the mechanic told me that the tires could be aligned only so much because the frame was bent. I know that when a police officer writes the accident report he doesn't check the frame and such, so to him it probably looked minor, it wasn't. There are all sorts of "little" things involved here. The car was bought at a very reputable dealership and I called them. The General Manager had me bring my car in on Monday evening so his mechanics could look at it as well and he made the promise that whatever happens, we will be satisfied. He also said that car was a lawsuit waiting to happen. My question it, what can I legally expect out of this? I don't want to sue or anything, I just want a dependable car that looks good. Could I make them in a figure of speech, trade up? Give me another vehicle that is actually worth more but cut to my car's price to make up for all of this? Thanks!

Q: My question it, what can I legally expect out of this? I don't want to sue or anything, I just want a dependable car that looks good. Could I make them in a figure of speech, trade up? Give me another vehicle that is actually worth more but cut to my car's price to make up for all of this?

A: You can sue them for the dollar amount of the damages you have suffered.

MomIsNutz

Okay

So there is no legal basis set for replacing this car? It was sold under false pretenses, and the frame is never going to be 100% again. I just want another car, same for same or better.

amina516

Is your car under any type of extended warranty from the dealer you purchased it from?? Also, you really should have pushed for the CarFax report. The dealers aresnt charged per report theyre charged a base rate and can pull up as many as they want.

MomIsNutz

Nope

No warranty was bought or offered. I have had a loaner vehicle, 2005 Trailblazer which is worth 2 to 3 times what my car is, since Monday and have called once and left a message and no one called back. Should I bug them, or just enjoy the nice ride? Seriously, I do NOT want this car to be "repaired" and then given back still damaged, there is NO way to fix that type of damage 100%.

amina516

well...if your repair bill surpasses the cars worth, theres no way that theyll try to fix it. Just be prepared to not get what you paid for it. theyll give you the base rate for the car minus the dealer markup that you paid..

and if it were me...Id just enjoy the trailblazer and drive everywhere and back..lol..Just make sure you know how long theyre gonna pay for a rental..like my ins co only pays for 30 days per incident...

Last edited:

MomIsNutz

THanks

I am still driving the Trailblazer!! And yes, I like driving it..I drive it everywhere, I make excuses to leave the house and drive it..lol..My insurance isn't even aware of this, the dealership gave me a car off their lot to drive. So, I'm keeping it as long as I can..lol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">