• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

any merit here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Marie Swartz

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
After being diagnosed with clinical depression related to the ending of my 33 year marriage, my therapist, a psychiatric nurse practitioner working under the oversight of a psychiatrist, prescribed multiple antidepressants over a period of nine months in an attempt to find one that was successful. During this time I developed exteme anxiety and panic attacks for which I was given multiple additional prescriptions including sedatives, antipsychotics, and benzodiazipenes. This culminated in a panic episode for which hospitalization was required, during which the attending psychiatrist oversaw my withdrawal from the array of meds I was on. Lingering painful physical effects required testing to rule out possible neurological damage. The head hospital psychiatrist, my primary care physician, the neurologist I saw, the new therapist I was referred to, and multiple other professionals whose opinion I have sought have given the opinion that the incredible number of varied medications I was on were dangerous and had undoubtedly played a role in my physical and emotional misery, and in my inability to work during the time I was on them. Since coming off all the medications I am able to think clearly for the first time since starting the therapy, and have no anxiety or signs of depression. I believe that the misprescribing done by my therapist robbed me of nearly a year of my life.
Is there a viable malpractice case here?

D

David.v.Goliath

i would go to another city and get an attorney and sue the physician in charge of the nurses. he is responsible for what they do under his supervision. you could also have some permenent damage not detectable at present

D

dadrummer

I'm not sure I can offer any legal advice but I am responding to this post because your circumstances practically mirror my wife's continuing problems. In 2/01 she was prescribed Haldol (antipsychotic) and benzo to control anxiety. This was prescribed by her family Dr.,not a psychiatrist. What it did is actually worsen the anxiety. Without going into the circumstances involving that let me just say it is now being litigated. Having said that, it is the part of your post that describes your physical complications that I find astonishing. Since 2/01, my wife has experienced considerable muscle wasting. At that time she weighed 129lbs and currently weighs 91lbs( 5'1") tall. Her internist has no explanation, nor does her gynocologist, pulmonologist, endocronologist or psychiatrist. She has an appointment with a neurologist on July 6th. Hopefully he will find out what is going on and begin treatment (if available). At this point, after ruling out as many other causes as possible, it seems her problem may very well be neurologic, which is certainly a possibility considering the circumstances. I am not an attorney, but hopefully virzirn, who is an attorney as well as a surgeon will reply to your post and offer his expert opinion. I did notice in your post you stated that the Dr.s were "of the opinion" that the number and types of meds you were on, prescribed by your initial psychiatrist, were the cause of your problems. One question is would they be willing to testify to that?
I certainly wish you the best. Also, I am going to email Dr. John Lehman, PhD., research scientist requesting he also either reply to your post or contact you by e-mail. His research is extensive in this area of medication complications. Hopefully between Dr. Lehman, virzirn and possibly ellencee some of your questions can be answered. Again, good luck.
(I personally have a few questions regarding your physical condition but your email address is not available. Please feel free to email me directly so we can perhaps compare what happened to you with what my wife is currently experiencing.)

Last edited:

ellencee

Marie Swartz
Please do not try to hold a physician responsible for a nurse practitioner's actions. Neither profession is responsible for acts made by the other. Nurse practictioners have specific guidelines and standards regulated by the appropriate State Board of Nurses, Practitioner division. Psychiatrists are physicians and have specific guidelines and standards regulated by the appropriate Stete Board of Physicians, Psychiatric practice division.

vrzirn

Well, Marie, you certainly have been doctor shopping. Were all of these opinions given at cocktail parties or were they actual reviews of your records for which you, or your insurance company paid?
Arriving at a differential diagnosis requires a period of "ruling out" and often trying several medications to determine which one is effective. I doubt you were taking all of them at once.
You do not appear to have sustained any permanent damage and there is always the possibility that merely the passage of time has cured your "wounds". You would have to prove a direct correlation between the actions of the NP and the drugs she prescribed and a permanent worsening of your condition. I do not believe you have a case where you can prevail.
Ask a mal-practice attorney what he thinks. I do not believe this case is worth the time, effort, or money to pursue.
There is a song from the musical'Oklahoma", called "Many a New Day". Learn it by heart and sing it every day. Loudly!
Why should a woman who is healthy and strong,
Blubber like a baby, cause a man's gone away.
A'weepin and a'wailin how he's done her wrong,
That's one thing you'll never hear me say.

Never gonna say that the man I lose
Is the only man among men.
I'll snap my fingers to show I don't care,
I'll buy me a brand-new dress to wear,
I'll paint my nails and I'll brush my hair,
And start all over again.
Many a new day will please my eye,
Many a new love will find me.
Never will I once look back to cry
Over a romance behind me.
Many a new day will dawn before I do.
etc, etc.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">