• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automotive: Known defect in engine block led to costly repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

olhobbes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Last week my car broke down. Took it back to the dealership and found out that there is a known defect in the engine block, which led to my car overheating and causing extensive damage to other components in the vehicle. The car company will cover the replacement of the engine block, but not the other components ( which were destroyed as a result of the known defect ).

How do I determine if I have a case? If I do determine to move forward with a case, what terminology should I be using to describe this so I can find the right paperwork?

Thank you in advance.

FlyingRon

What other components are we talking about? First thing to try (assuming we're talking a new car) is to work your way up the food chain at the manufacturer.

olhobbes

Specifics: The engine block has a known defect where a crack will leak coolant. It happened on the freeway. Before I was able to pull over, the engine overheated so badly the head cylinder warped. I had about 30 seconds between the initial problem indication ( oil temp climbing fast ) to the engine seizing. The manufacturer will replace the engine block, but not the head cylinder.

I'm working with the manufacturer right now, but they're telling me it's not their responsibility. I'm hopeful I can resolve their by talking to the dealership and the manufacturer, but I'm preparing all of my options.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Specifics: The engine block has a known defect where a crack will leak coolant. It happened on the freeway. Before I was able to pull over, the engine overheated so badly the head cylinder warped. I had about 30 seconds between the initial problem indication ( oil temp climbing fast ) to the engine seizing. The manufacturer will replace the engine block, but not the head cylinder.

I'm working with the manufacturer right now, but they're telling me it's not their responsibility. I'm hopeful I can resolve their by talking to the dealership and the manufacturer, but I'm preparing all of my options.
What kind of car & year?

OHRoadwarrior

This is not the type of issue that just happens and the engine blows. Proper maintenance and fluid checks would reveal there is a coolant loss. It appears you elected to ignore the loss of coolant until complete failure ensued. How may miles on the engine? Is it still under warranty? You are not the first person, nor is this the first engine to have latent defects which appear post warranty and require an overhaul.

olhobbes

This is not the type of issue that just happens and the engine blows. Proper maintenance and fluid checks would reveal there is a coolant loss. It appears you elected to ignore the loss of coolant until complete failure ensued. How may miles on the engine? Is it still under warranty? You are not the first person, nor is this the first engine to have latent defects which appear post warranty and require an overhaul.
I actually check my tires and coolant once a week, and not an hour before the break down I was in the gas station doing just that. In fact, that's part of what's frustrating to me; I don't know what else I could have done to prevent this. I get regular service ( albeit earlier than recommended ), I pay very close attention to the noises my car makes. Hell, the only time I had a "leak" I took it in to find out it was condensation from the A/C. The *only* thing I feel I did wrong was that I didn't shutdown the engine as soon as I noticed the temp increase ( 3/4s of the way to the red ), but I'm told that by then it was probably too late anyways.

Regardless; Honda has identified the engine block as being an issue and agreed to replace that free of charge, so there is already a known problem. My extended issues were caused by the known problems through no fault of my own.

That's my stance anyway. I feel I have case, but what do you all think?

OHRoadwarrior

They are not just going to replace the block. They will replace the entire bottom end, AKA the short block. Failure to have your head completely checked for invisible cracks, decked to remove warping and having the valves redone, will result pressure loss and oil loss through the top end. I would have them throw on a new water pump and timing belt also. You will end up with a completely rebuilt engine that should be like new. Another suggestion to avoid the stress on the head would be to ask HOA to give you the long block (w/new head) with no profit markup cost (only diff between short and long dealer cost). Not having the head done can cause a blown head gasket immediately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">