• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Brakes on Bikes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

afinney

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
My son was recently injured on a bicycle manufactured by Dynacraft Industries. His brakes were not working properly while riding down a hill, and he was unable to stop, resulting in 25 stitches to his forehead. The problem with these bikes are that although my son meets the height requirements, a child of his age (7) is not able to squeeze the hand breaks hard enough to stop themselves. I think that the manufacturer should put some guidelines for parents to go by when purchasing these types of bikes. The manufacturers are marketing to children of this age, and parents are not aware that they may not be safe for their child. Since the accident, I was told by the retailer that this bike was not appropriate for my child's age, they said that it would be more appropriate for a 12-14 year old. I don't know how a parent would be aware of this unless some weight or age restrictions were known to them.
I would like to know if a suit against the manufacturer would be appropriate. I would like other parents to be aware of this situation, or have the manufacturer be required to post guidelines, as well as for the bikes to be equipped with foot brakes as a back up. Thank You!

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

afinney said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
My son was recently injured on a bicycle manufactured by Dynacraft Industries. His brakes were not working properly while riding down a hill, and he was unable to stop, resulting in 25 stitches to his forehead. The problem with these bikes are that although my son meets the height requirements, a child of his age (7) is not able to squeeze the hand breaks hard enough to stop themselves. I think that the manufacturer should put some guidelines for parents to go by when purchasing these types of bikes. The manufacturers are marketing to children of this age, and parents are not aware that they may not be safe for their child. Since the accident, I was told by the retailer that this bike was not appropriate for my child's age, they said that it would be more appropriate for a 12-14 year old. I don't know how a parent would be aware of this unless some weight or age restrictions were known to them.
I would like to know if a suit against the manufacturer would be appropriate. I would like other parents to be aware of this situation, or have the manufacturer be required to post guidelines, as well as for the bikes to be equipped with foot brakes as a back up. Thank You!

My response:

You never mentioned the Model and the Model Number of the Dynacraft bicycle; however, you can look this information up by clicking on the following link:

http://www.dynacraftbike.com/

Then, at the site, click on the "Recall" tab and then choose the bicycle you had purchased to see what the recall is about.

Never, ever, purchase a bicycle at a "junk" store with $5.50 per hour "duh yup" employees, who know nothing. The products these stores sell go to you, and within weeks, belong in a "garage sale". These bicycles are junk and would NEVER pass muster in a "real" bicycle store - - which is the reason why these, and other brands of bicycles, are sold in these "junk" stores.

Always purchase a quality bicycle from a bicycle store, where real professionals are interested in selling bicycles that fit the rider, the rider's capabilities, and the rider's intended use.

Your child deserves better than the "junk" sold at these "toy stores".

After reading the Dynacraft site, print out the relevant information, and take it to a local Personal Injury attorney for review and potential representation in a "products liability" action against both the manufacturer and the retail store.

IAAL

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

What ever happened to coaster breaks that require only basic skills and coordination? It is confusing to have to remember which hand breaks which wheel and on top of the all the gears in an emergency situation whether you are 7 years old or not

I went to the site that IAAL suggested and lo and behold the new bike my son bought for me was on the list!

Last edited:
A

afinney

response

I had already checked the CPSC and the web site for Dynacraft Industries, there are no recalls on this particular bike. So I guess what my real question is, is whether or not the manufacturer is liable for not providing information to parents when purchasing which guidelines the age, or appropriateness of the product they sell.

rmet4nzkx

to IAAL

picky, pici, piki!
sum da I'l luhrn 2 spel bedr or tipe

Where are you on that other thread, you haven't said a single word?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">