• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Gas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OHRoadwarrior

It almost sounds like a partial tanker of diesel was dumped in/mixed in by accident. I would siphon the tank dry, refill with 5 - 10 gallons of gasoline only and mix in 1 bottle (pint) of fuel injector cleaner. Repeating process might be required, after you run the 5 - 10 gallons through, to get residual oil residue. I would change fuel filter after the process is done and vehicle is running good.

badgas

If you can trace multiple complaints to the same station, then you may be able to convince them to pay without even having to take them to small claims court.

Also, if you can trace all the complaints to the same station and you really want to stick it to them, fill this out and let The Man take a crack at them too:
Gas Price Monitoring
All I want is my car running right without me having to pay for it, and some compensation for my time spent. Not a ridiculous amount either. However, if I do have to go to court, then I want my lawyer paid for as well.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
All I want is my car running right without me having to pay for it, and some compensation for my time spent. Not a ridiculous amount either. However, if I do have to go to court, then I want my lawyer paid for as well.
You will not be entitled to attorney's fees.

badgas

It almost sounds like a partial tanker of diesel was dumped in/mixed in by accident. I would siphon the tank dry, refill with 5 - 10 gallons of gasoline only and mix in 1 bottle (pint) of fuel injector cleaner. Repeating process might be required, after you run the 5 - 10 gallons through, to get residual oil residue. I would change fuel filter after the process is done and vehicle is running good.
The diesel theory is a good one, and one that I thought of as a possibility.

I know how to fix it, I would rather spend the time with my 7 yr old daughter and not have to mess with it. I have all the tools, but I have better things to do with my time. I can not afford $90.00/hr for a mechanic though. That is why I work on my own cars. If I at least get refunded on the gas and any parts I need paid for, I will gladly settle out of court. I am hoping for some compensation for my time as well, within reason. Fortunately I have another car, so I don't need a rental.

swalsh411

You are free to attempt to negotiate any sort of settlement you wish with the station. If they refuse your option will be to sue. However if they do make an offer that is at least halfway reasonable you should consider the additional time and effort involved if you refuse and sue in an attempt to do better.

badgas

That improves your chances considerably.
This post is somewhat late. This was handled satisfactorily with out going to court. I recieved a check based on a repair estimate, plus allowance for towing, plus a gas card that covered the bad gas I bought in the first place. I repaired the car myself for less and it runs fine. It needed a starter too because it burned out when my car was running bad, but since I did the work myself that was covered too, even though it was not quoted in the repair estimate.

Zigner

This post is somewhat late. This was handled satisfactorily with out going to court. I recieved a check based on a repair estimate, plus allowance for towing, plus a gas card that covered the bad gas I bought in the first place. I repaired the car myself for less and it runs fine. It needed a starter too because it burned out when my car was running bad, but since I did the work myself that was covered too, even though it was not quoted in the repair estimate.
Do tell - how does a car that is not running right burn out an otherwise "healthy" starter?

You Are Guilty

Well, congrats (?), but it would help other people with the same problem immensely if you would actually describe what you did and how you got the results.

Mass_Shyster

Do tell - how does a car that is not running right burn out an otherwise "healthy" starter?
I once had a friendly tow truck driver crank my starter for about five minutes straight. I suspect it overheated and died. (One of the many reasons I don't belong to that popular auto club)

Zigner

I once had a friendly tow truck driver crank my starter for about five minutes straight. I suspect it overheated and died. (One of the many reasons I don't belong to that popular auto club)
In your case, whatever the break-down was that caused your vehicle to not run was NOT the cause of your starter giving out.

davew128

Depending on the reason the car might not be firing up and the length of time one tries to get it to, it can most definitely kill a starter and within short order.

Zigner

Depending on the reason the car might not be firing up and the length of time one tries to get it to, it can most definitely kill a starter and within short order.
Right. The bad gas doesn't kill the starter. The improper attempts to start the vehicle kills the starter.

Right. The bad gas doesn't kill the starter. The improper attempts to start the vehicle kills the starter.
You're arguing semantics here. OP never said the bad gas caused the starter to go out, just that it happened to go out at the same time when the car was running badly. It could have been a completely different issue or it could have been from continuously cranking the starter without the engine turning over. It's an irrelevant side detail that the OP should have left out but he was just happy that the reimbursement he got was enough to fix another issue that happened so he added it in there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">