• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad side effects from Lyrica

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pam1964

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
Hello- I need some advice. I got shingles back in October of last year. I had some really bad nerve pain and my doctor put me on Lyrica. He told me it might make me have swelling in hands and feet. I took it and it gave some relief. Well, I started having really bad swelling. I called my doctor's office and he upped my diuretic.
Close to Christmas I started getting big blisters on my lower legs that were draining copius amouts of clear liquid-it was like my legs were so swollen that they had to drain fluid somewhere-not like a drug reaction because the blisters were where the swelling was the most. I called my doc to get in but he was off for that week. Then over the weekend both legs got infected- the skin was coming off. I had an area on one calf that was 12"x4" and about 1/3" deep. The other leg a bit smaller but still huge and the front of both legs about a 3" x 3" spot.
I got into the doc's office first thing that Monday. He took one look at my legs and said to stop the Lyrica. I was admitted to the hospital for a week. The legs hurt SO BAD and the dressing changes were awful- I was seeing dead relatives..pain level of "Please help me Jesus".
Legs are healing. I still have to do dressing changes, but they are getting there with time. I will have huge scars and indentations.
Do I have a case against Lyrica? Please be kind to me- it's been a really bad 5 months.
Thank you so much in advance!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You experienced a KNOWN side-effect:

LYRICA is not for everyone. LYRICA may cause serious, even life threatening, allergic reactions. Stop taking LYRICA and call your doctor right away if you have any signs of a serious allergic reaction. Some signs are swelling of your face, mouth, lips, gums, tongue or neck or if you have any trouble breathing, or have a rash, hives or blisters.

Drugs used to treat seizures increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior. LYRICA may cause suicidal thoughts or actions in a very small number of people, about 1 in 500. Call your doctor right away if you have new or worsening depression, suicidal thoughts or actions, or unusual changes in mood or behavior. If you have suicidal thoughts or actions, do not stop LYRICA without first talking to your doctor.

LYRICA may cause swelling of your hands, legs and feet, which can be serious for people with heart problems. LYRICA may cause dizziness and sleepiness. You should not drive or work with machines until you know how LYRICA affects you. Also, tell your doctor right away about muscle pain or problems along with feeling sick and feverish, or any changes in your eyesight including blurry vision or if you have any kidney problems or get dialysis.

Some of the most common side effects of LYRICA are dizziness, blurry vision, weight gain, sleepiness, trouble concentrating, swelling of your hands and feet, dry mouth, and feeling "high". If you have diabetes, tell your doctor about any skin sores.

You may have a higher chance for swelling and hives if you are also taking angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors so tell your doctor if you are taking these medications. You may have a higher chance of swelling of your hands or feet or gaining weight if you are also taking certain diabetes medicines. Do not drink alcohol while on LYRICA. You may have a higher chance for dizziness and sleepiness if you take LYRICA with alcohol, narcotic pain medicines, or medicines for anxiety.

Before you start LYRICA, tell your doctor if you are planning to father a child, or if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you have had a drug or alcohol problem, you may be more likely to misuse LYRICA.

In studies, a specific type of blood vessel tumor was seen in mice, but not in rats. The meaning of these findings in humans is not known.

Do not stop taking LYRICA without talking to your doctor. If you stop suddenly you may have headaches, nausea, diarrhea or trouble sleeping and if you have epilepsy, you may have seizures more often.

(From http://www.lyrica.com/main_about_lyrica.aspx)

pam1964

Hmmm

Who would have thought sloughing skin and large open wounds would result though. It's been such a painful few months- I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Thanks for your time!

Banned_Princess

Who would have thought sloughing skin and large open wounds would result though. It's been such a painful few months- I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Thanks for your time!
Sorry!

You should have gone to the ER as soon as you found your doctor was unavailable.

ecmst12

You experienced a known side effect of a medication. You were specifically warned about this side effect and chose to take it anyway. You have no legal recourse.

Skin breakdown often occurs in the presence of extreme swelling or edema.

pam1964

actually it doesn't happen that often

There were other side effect- mental confusion, blurred vision, haven't had my period since I took Lyrica. I couldn't form sentences-words wouldn't come to me when I spoke. I had incontince and I talked in my sleep. The confusion and blurred vision resolved a week after I was off Lyrica. I believe that their warning of risk was minimized. Not sure if you've ever had shingles- but they are very painful- the shooting nerve pain- I could put up with a little edema, confusion, etc- I NEVER would have taken it had I known what that led to.
After I was released from the hospital I did some research on the net and now Pfizer is warning about blisters. I saw on a website a guy lost his fiance to infected blistering.
Well, I understand and I thank you for all your input. I may just talk to an attorney anyway. I don't want anyone to go through what I did.

Banned_Princess

Well, I understand and I thank you for all your input. I may just talk to an attorney anyway. I don't want anyone to go through what I did.
Very good then. I do see the commercials law firms pay for looking for people to add to their tort class action suit.

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

pam1964

thank you!

I may just let it go as it's getting better. When they were changing my dressing and I was crying like a baby and praying so hard I wanted so bad for the Pfizer CEO to be drawn and quartered for this drug but as the skin is healing I am not as evil. I guess I wanted to see what others thought. Thanks BP- I so appreciate your time!

OP mentioned she "upped" her diuretics - so she was already on them for some underlying condition.

I can't help but wonder why the doc would prescribe lyrica in that case - neurontin works just as well in most cases with somewhat less side effects.

justalayman

it would not have gotten this bad if you had followed the directions included with the medication.

we live in a great era in many ways. Patients are actually given information about the medications they are taking and procedures their doctors prescribe.

Now we, as patients, must utilize that new age information to the best of our benefit. Since the Lyrica literature specifically stated to discontinue use of the medication if certain complications arise and that is exactly what you should have done. It continued to get worse because you continued to take the medication.

from the first paragraph supplied by Zigner:

LYRICA is not for everyone. LYRICA may cause serious, even life threatening, allergic reactions. Stop taking LYRICA and call your doctor right away if you have any signs of a serious allergic reaction. Some signs are swelling of your face, mouth, lips, gums, tongue or neck or if you have any trouble breathing, or have a rash, hives or blister
there was no question about what you should have done. It, in no uncertain terms, directed you to stop taking the medication once you had problems such as your blisters.

pam1964

Hi Goddess- yeah- he put me on neurotin in the hospital as I was still having nerve pain. It's worked so well-wish I'd been on it instead of Lyrica to begin with. Hindsight's 20/20 I guess.
Yeah- I'm on HCTZ for blood pressure- very low dose. It's a diuretic but also for b/p.

pam1964

justamaylan- the lit also says do not stop this medication abruptly or you may have seizures...go figure.

pam1964

also- the blister warning was not added until mid January. I always look up medication on-line when I get it. Now- just for thought- look at all those Yaz lawsuits for blood clots- it's been known for YEARS that birth control can cause blood clots.
I won't persue if leg heals completely. It's a pretty fine line.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You have no case, get it?

Some of the most common side effects of LYRICA are dizziness, blurry vision, weight gain, sleepiness, trouble concentrating, swelling of your hands and feet, dry mouth, and feeling "high". If you have diabetes, tell your doctor about any skin sores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">