• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Battery Acid Burn to Face

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hardyx

What is the name of your state? CA
I have one of those battery operated headlamps that you can strap to your head, and within the prior month, it had been loaded with fresh “store brand” AA batteries from a well known drug store chain. I used the headlamp working around the house one night without a problem, and resumed my work using the light the following morning. Overnight however one of the AA batteries began to leak a clear fluid and the result was that I got a nickle sized burn on the side of my face that blistered and was pretty bad. I took photos and went to the hospital, etc. Calling every PI lawyer advertising in the area, I was unable to find anyone interested in the case because I had not gone blind or something. There is a slight scar which can’t be helped, but it’s no big deal. I am only looking to recover the a couple hundred dollars in doctor/hospital visits. I went to the store where I got the batteries, they took down my info, and told me someone would contact me. Within a week, someone called, but it was a firm named Broadspire hired by the drugstore to process their claims. They took my information and called back sometime later telling me the company that manufactured the batteries for the drugstore would be contacting me. Soon afterward, I heard from a company named Attico. They took my information and then contacted me later to tell me that these batteries were manufactured by a foreign company and that their insurance carrier (also offshore) wanted me to send them my receipts, the batteries that caused the injury, etc. I knew that I would need to present my evidence at some point. The problem is each time I have spoken with someone thinking they were going to help me, they later contacted me only to inform me they are referring me to someone else. When is that going to end? I am also hesitant to send my only evidence to some offshore company without some sort of agreement, understanding, or promise. Rather than dealing with all of these insurance people who seem to just be interested in passing the buck, would I be better off at this point taking the drugstore chain to small claims court, and then letting THEM hash things out with the insurance companies?

You Are Guilty

Wait, let's get this straight.

You've just begun to work your way up an international "chain of command" to deal with the company that can pay the money you're after, yet you don't want to cooperate? Even though everyone thus far has been friendly and helpful? (Merely not giving you money does not mean they're not helpful, by the way.)

Oh, if you're worried about sending your proof (which you will have to do even if you sue), let me clue you in to a great new invention that might make your job easier - Xerox machines! These fantastic devices are able to extactly reproduce the documents you place in them! It's like black magic. Look into them.

panzertanker

You Are Guilty said:
These fantastic devices are able to extactly reproduce the documents you place in them! It's like black magic. Look into them.
YAG, I am going to report you to Mary for talking all that "voodoo" stuff....! :D

rmet4nzkx

Since these are a store brand, the store in this country has responsibility, contact the cooporate offices for the store and ask for their legal department and tell them it is re defective store brand product. You may get the run around, but eventually you will get to speak to someone and they will assist you in processing a claim. You can make a copy of your receipts. What would they do if it were a gift? What is the store policy on returns or defective products, that may be of some help in establishing the elements but don't return the item right now.

ellencee

Please invite me to the settlement hearing or small claims court hearing. You can reach me via email: [email protected]

I can't wait to find out why you need a headlamp to work around the house. And, I want to know why you aren't responsible for checking your battery operated equipment before you put it on your head.

EC

H

hardyx

A wrong turn

Well, I thought this was a place where I could receive some legitimate guidance, but apparently I’ve made a wrong turn. Judging from the thousands of postings I see in a some of your histories, this is your private playground where you sift through the postings of others, and probably imaging that you are Judge Judy, dispense your own special brand of “wit”, What is this place—an entertainment service for social shut-ins?
Ellencee, are you really so dumb you need to ask what use I have for a headlamp in my home, or is it that you simply do not know what a headlamp is? As for being responsible and checking my equipment, let me ask you, do you regularly remove and inspect all of the batteries from your vibrator each time you pick it up to use it?

You Are Guilty – you are indeed a quick wit, aren’t you. If I want to enjoy your flavor of cynicism and sarcasm, I’ll watch old reruns of Maude, and if I want to be personally abused, there’s a drag bar on the other side of town where the vicious queens will take great delight in tearing me apart with your special brand of “wit”. In fact, perhaps that’s why you seem so familiar…I think I must have caught one of your drag shows there before.

rmet4nzkx

You seem to come here to be rude. I gave you appropriate advice, a similar thing occured with my son's CD player with defective store batteries and we received satisfactory claims processing, you ignored my advice, you didn't even thank me. I think you came here for some purpose other than advice.

H

hardyx

Sorry

I'm sorry, but you are not correct. Please check your private mail. You happened to log on and catch things mid-stream before I had finished everything I had set out to do. I also wish to publicly acknowledge you for being the only person here who has not been rude and for offering your sincere thoughts.

rmet4nzkx

hardyx said:
I'm sorry, but you are not correct. Please check your private mail. You happened to log on and catch things mid-stream before I had finished everything I had set out to do. I also wish to publicly acknowledge you for being the only person here who has not been rude and for offering your sincere thoughts.
No, we did not post at the same time and you only responded to my post 20 minutes after I posted. I doubt that you actually called the legal department, you called custpmer service and a clerk gave you the number to call another CSA and another CSA. Call back and specifically ask for the legal department, tell them you don't want the runaround.

hardyx said:
Private Messages > Inbox > Re: You are wrong
Hello, and no, you are wrong. It's just that I had not yet had a chance to do everything I came here to do and you logged in before I had finished. First, thank you. Of the five or so responses, yours was the only serious and legitimate one I received, and for that I am grateful. I do have a concern however, in that what you have suggested seems to be the same as the steps I have already taken. The Corporate people referred me onto Broadspire telling me that would take care of things. They in turn later referred me to Attico, telling me that they would take care of things. Now I am being referred off shore being told the same thing. I know that the nature of insurance is that it sometimes works in a cascade fashion like this. But why couldn't I just get Walgreens to pay me for my damages and then haggle with the insurance carriers as they play pass the buck. That game is going to be played regardless. Doing as you suggest however, is worth a try before filing papers.
Regarding your comment that I came there to be rude, I'm sorry that you feel that way. But how about the first response I received from You Are Guilty? Do you really think I deserved that rudeness from him? I also had to write the operators of the this website and describe the problem. I even asked them to remove my profile from the system. However, I plan to acknowledge everyone who took the time to response. I even sent ellencee a private message as well. I just hadn't gotten to you yet. Check the timestamps on these messages if you doubt me.
Your comments directed to Ellen were totally inapporpriate, anyone who actually reads the instructions that accompany personal massage devices knows that you are warned to not store the batteries in the device and to inspect them prior to use.

Most people don't have need for headlamps, do you have a vision problem?

You Are Guilty

Oh lord, here we go again. :rolleyes:

Original problem:
I am also hesitant to send my only evidence to some offshore company without some sort of agreement, understanding, or promise.
My response:
Oh, if you're worried about sending your proof (which you will have to do even if you sue), let me clue you in to a great new invention that might make your job easier - Xerox machines!

Given the rudeness that I am capable of, the fact that you were offended by me being nice to you is rather ironic. However, if you feel the need to be abused, feel free to check back in, I've got plenty of material.

Oh yeah, let me know how that "reporting me to the administrator" thing works out for you too. :D

djohnson

You Are Guilty said:
Oh lord, here we go again. :rolleyes:

Original problem:

My response:

Given the rudeness that I am capable of, the fact that you were offended by me being nice to you is rather ironic. However, if you feel the need to be abused, feel free to check back in, I've got plenty of material.

Oh yeah, let me know how that "reporting me to the administrator" thing works out for you too. :D

I think what he is trying to say is that he can't make copies of the batteries themselves, and they have asked for them.

OP, don't look for a lot of compensation as you would be found partly at fault for putting it back on your head without checking for leakage. You seem to have been dealt with very nicely up until now. Why not carry on with that for the time being. An attorney would cost more than what you are asking for.

H

hardyx

rmet4nzkx - Sorry, but I disagree with you that my comment to ellecee was inappropriate. I suggest you actually read again one of those product inserts. It just so happens, I have one right here: "Be sure to remove the batteries before storing the unit during periods of non-use". What about something like a vibrator that probably enjoys regular, daily usage? How many people do you know remove the batteries from their handy Mag-Lite or their vibrator each and every time they use it. Is this really what they mean by "periods of non-use"? I might like to suggest that readers employ some degree of common sense here, however I am reluctant to do so for fear of being accused of being "rude". Unfortunately, I suppose this will lead to a spirited semantic discussion regarding the definition and common English language use of the word "store".

Regarding whether I have vision problems, that's none of your business. You're invited to render your opinions regarding the questions I have posed, in fact, I have solicited them. However, I have absolutely no interest in participating in tangential discussions with those who would wish to pick apart my case. I am not on trial here.

YAG - don't worry, Hon. That "private" comment I sent the other user about reporting this to the Administrator had nothing to do with you. (Perhaps you should try Paxil). I wouldn't dream of attempting to de-throne the Grand Queen of Dribble. I wrote to ask to be taken off the system since pseudointellectual legal discussions with buffoons like you is a pointless waste of time. But, it's been fun, kids! YAG, I'll catch up with you the next time I'm on the east side and stop in to catch one of your shows...

Last edited by a moderator:

Veronica1228

hardyx said:
rmet4nzkx - Sorry, but I disagree with you that my comment to ellecee was inappropriate. I suggest you actually read again one of those product inserts. It just so happens, I have one right here: "Be sure to remove the batteries before storing the unit during periods of non-use". What about something like a vibrator that probably enjoys regular, daily usage? How many people do you know remove the batteries from their handy Mag-Lite or their vibrator each and every time they use it. Is this really what they mean by "periods of non-use"? I might like to suggest that readers employ some degree of common sense here, however I am reluctant to do so for fear of being accused of being "rude". Unfortunately, I suppose this will lead to a spirited semantic discussion regarding the definition and common English language use of the word "store".

Regarding whether I have vision problems, that's none of your business. You're invited to render your opinions regarding the questions I have posed, in fact, I have solicited them. However, I have absolutely no interest in participating in tangential discussions with those who would wish to pick apart my case. I am not on trial here.

YAG - don't worry, Hon. That "private" comment I sent the other user about reporting this to the Administrator had nothing to do with you. (Perhaps you should try Paxil). I wouldn't dream of attempting to de-throne the Grand Queen of Dribble. Besides, the fact that someone like you is running around unfettered is already a clear indicator that you either are the Administrator, have something on the Administrator, or else are sleeping with the Administrator. I can't see a single reason why anyone else would keep you around. I wrote to ask to be taken off the system since pseudointellectual legal discussions with buffoons like you is a pointless waste of time. But, it's been fun, kids! YAG, I'll catch up with you the next time I'm on the east side and stop in to catch one of your shows... You can fill me in on the current number of *******s you have so deftly and skillfully reamed.
Wow! I think this woman has a good case against the battery company. The acid must have actually soaked through to her brain and caused some serious damage. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">