• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a used car, two week later sunroof breaks, I haven't signed title yet...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

julieann89

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I bought a used 2006 Kia Sportage literally 2 week ago and the sunroof quit working already. I had the sunroof vented and when I went to close it, it made a loud clicking noise and wouldn't shut completely. I called the place where I got it from and was told that they don't service Kia's and to take it to a Kia dealership. I took it to the Kia dealership and was quoted $1432 to fix the sunroof!!! I called the dealership where I purchased the car and spoke to a person names Brad who was the "new car manager" and he told me the "used car manager" was on vacation for a couple of days but I would be hearing from him. Today I received a call from the "service manager" telling me that they weren't going to help me whatsoever.

Also, when I bought the car, I was told that they didn't know where the title was but that they would find it and have me sign it within a day or two. I have never signed their title for the car because no one has contacted me yet. It's extremely frustrating because I got rid of my previous car because I was going to have to put $1500 in it to fix it. I should have kept that one and just fixed it because at least I wouldn't have had a car payment on top of that!

Not only that but they sent my loan application to about 8 different banks and this week I have received all the denial letters from all these banks which puts a mark on my credit I believe. I ended up getting approved from my current bank who I previously had a car loan through.

The worst part about it is that the Kia dealership told me that if I would have purchased the car from them they would have fixed it at no charge whatsoever regardless if it was used, new, whatever.

So, my question is.. 1) Is there anything I can do to make them either a) fix the sunroof for free or b) take $1400 off my total car cost. And 2) Since I haven't signed the title yet do I technically own it? Or can I say "well since I haven't signed the title then blah blah blah."

Honestly, the main reason I bought the car was for the sunroof and the heated seats and now I won't be able to enjoy something I paid for.

Thanks for the help!

swalsh411

The dealer must honor any written warranty that came with the vehicle.

Trying to pay title games will not relieve your obligation to repay the loan.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I bought a used 2006 Kia Sportage literally 2 week ago and the sunroof quit working already. I had the sunroof vented and when I went to close it, it made a loud clicking noise and wouldn't shut completely. I called the place where I got it from and was told that they don't service Kia's and to take it to a Kia dealership. I took it to the Kia dealership and was quoted $1432 to fix the sunroof!!! I called the dealership where I purchased the car and spoke to a person names Brad who was the "new car manager" and he told me the "used car manager" was on vacation for a couple of days but I would be hearing from him. Today I received a call from the "service manager" telling me that they weren't going to help me whatsoever.

Also, when I bought the car, I was told that they didn't know where the title was but that they would find it and have me sign it within a day or two. I have never signed their title for the car because no one has contacted me yet. It's extremely frustrating because I got rid of my previous car because I was going to have to put $1500 in it to fix it. I should have kept that one and just fixed it because at least I wouldn't have had a car payment on top of that!

Not only that but they sent my loan application to about 8 different banks and this week I have received all the denial letters from all these banks which puts a mark on my credit I believe. I ended up getting approved from my current bank who I previously had a car loan through.

The worst part about it is that the Kia dealership told me that if I would have purchased the car from them they would have fixed it at no charge whatsoever regardless if it was used, new, whatever.

So, my question is.. 1) Is there anything I can do to make them either a) fix the sunroof for free or b) take $1400 off my total car cost. And 2) Since I haven't signed the title yet do I technically own it? Or can I say "well since I haven't signed the title then blah blah blah."

Honestly, the main reason I bought the car was for the sunroof and the heated seats and now I won't be able to enjoy something I paid for.

Thanks for the help!
Did you happen to have the vehicle inspected by your own private mechanic before you bought it? No? Then if the sunroof WAS somehow malfunctioning before you bought the vehicle, you would have known it. It's even possible that it broke after you tried to use it, without having had any previous issues before when the dealership had the vehicle.

If the dealer provided you a written warranty or guarantee of fitness that covered this specific repair, then they should honor it and fix the defect at their own expense. If they didn't, then the sale was considered "AS IS", and you bought the vehicle as you found it - WITH the current sunroof problem, and YOU get to pay for the repairs yourself.

The dealer must honor any written warranty that came with the vehicle.

Trying to pay title games will not relieve your obligation to repay the loan.
As stated, you already have the loan through your own bank for the vehicle. You have already signed for the purchase of the vehicle, and the dealership will use the paperwork you've already signed to add your name to the title once they have it to do so - whether you agree to do so now or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">