• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brookstone product blew up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KittyK

What is the name of your state? California
I live in the UK. Whilst on a trip to California, last December, I bought a Max Massager from Brookstone in Santa Monica. I bought it to help with my partner's rehabilitation after he was badly insured in a head-on auto-mobile collision. The third time I used the massager it blew up, sparked and smoked; also blowing the plug socket. A registered electrician checked the plug socket and the adaptor which I'd used and there were no faults. My understanding is that it was the Massager that was faulty. I was a full-time carer for my partner and as such time passed before contacting Brookstone Customer Service by email on 7/4/07. I received an automated reply which did not answer my query about faulty goods. I emailed them again and received a reply today, 9/14/07, saying i could have a replacement or gift vouchers if I returned the Massager to a Brookstone and I paid the shipping costs. The Max Massager cost $200, the proposed shipping costs would be a minimum of $120. I would be grateful if could advise me about my consumer rights. I used my UK credit card to buy the Massager. Thank you very much for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You would need to return the product, as they asked. They have offered to replace it.
Perhaps you can take pictures and send them, along with a copy of the electrician's report, in order to convince them to waive the requirement of shipping it back.
I would recommend you NOT email them and start using regular post.

Check your credit card issuer policy on receiving defective goods. In the U.S. , Some card issuers will stop payment on customer complaints about defective goods. You may not have to send the goods back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">