• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car from dealership with HID's held by DUCTTAPE!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Adizziedoll

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CT, but bought the car in TEXAS

We bought a used car (2002) that was located in TX with an As Is contract. When I got home, I realized that the headlights didn't illuminate correctly and proceeded to check it out. The headlights were held by duct tape, and had no high beams!
I brought the to Nissan and they told me they were incorrectly installed HID's, they broke the housing and the whole headlight assemblies need to be replaced. It is going to cost $750. Shouldn't the dealer pay? :confused:

Aren't HID headlights illegal if they are directly in place of a halogen setting? How did the car past their inspection like this, and with no High beams???
They seem reluctant to pay up. If it comes down to it, do I have a case? This seems illegal to me, but I could be wrong. HELP!

Adizziedoll

It adizziedoll again... I have found my answer, and just wanted to share it incase it might help someone...

When I bought the car, there was a safety inspection sticker on it. Therefor I was mislead into thinking that the car is safe, including headlights and beam indicators, which obviously it is not. Therefor, I am covered under the TEXAS DECEPTIVE TRADE PRACTICES, laundry #5, and possibly #7 ttp://www.charlesbrownlawfirm.com/dptagud.htm. If you go to the department of public safety, you can see what the inspections look like and what they are supposed to check. Now when I bought the car, I can safely say that I could expect all of these things to be in working, and legal condition... legally.

I hope this might help someone

BelizeBreeze

Adizziedoll said:
It adizziedoll again... I have found my answer, and just wanted to share it incase it might help someone...

When I bought the car, there was a safety inspection sticker on it. Therefor I was mislead into thinking that the car is safe, including headlights and beam indicators, which obviously it is not. Therefor, I am covered under the TEXAS DECEPTIVE TRADE PRACTICES, laundry #5, and possibly #7 ttp://www.charlesbrownlawfirm.com/dptagud.htm. If you go to the department of public safety, you can see what the inspections look like and what they are supposed to check. Now when I bought the car, I can safely say that I could expect all of these things to be in working, and legal condition... legally.

I hope this might help someone
Really? And when did you pass the Texas bar ?

The inspection sticker means ONLY that the car passed the inspection process AT THE TIME THE STICKER WAS ISSUED. It does NOT mean that the car is PRESENTLY in safe operating condition.

Try again perry mason. :rolleyes:

Adizziedoll

the sticker was issued the day before i picked up the car

you don't have to be rude you know
A simple "you're wrong because ......" would be just fine

A_Loving_Father

State Inspections

I dont know how different Texas inspections were from those that were required in Arkansas ten years ago, but i am sure the process is not very different. All it ask is for the headlights to be in working order. High beams are not a safety requirement, i dont believe, so therefore are considered an option. I am sure the lights were just turned on to see if all bulbs were working. It is the CONSUMER's responsibility to inspect the car thoroughly before they are to purcase the vehicle, as stated in the Buyers Guide (i.e. the AS IS No Warranty Sticker). Whether the dealer knowingly sold you the vehicle with the malfunctioned lights is irrevelant once you sign that guide. Its unfortunate because it is these type of events that give us used car dealers a bad reputation. I always tell my customers to take it to a mechanic of their choice before purchase. If a dealer refuses to let you do that, walk away. You as a consumer have that right.

Good Luck, sorry bout them lights. They are a bit expensive to work on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">