• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car troubles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nathaniel D

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

About a month ago my driver side door was smashed by a company vehicle when the driver exited the vehicle without the parking brake. It then rolled right into my car. My company has since paid for the damages and I've had my car repaired and back on the road in a bout 2 weeks. Last while on vacation I get a call from the security of the hotel to come down to the parking garage because there's a problem with my car. When get there police, firefighters were everywhere. It seems the door I had replaced wasn't wired correctly (windows,speakers,etc) and just like that a fire ensued melting just about everything on drivers side. The firefighter then tells me the fire started inside the drivers side door where the wire harness connects all the wires. The garage that did the work did send a tow truck to pick up my car, but if the owner doesn't accept responsibility what could possibly be my options. I do have pictures, I have the case #from the fire company stating the fire started inside the door

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave1952

Your car has been towed back to the garage. Was that at your request? If the garage does not take responsibility Penn. has an $8000 limit (10,000 in Philly) for small claims court. But first see what they say. They should have insurance for this.

adjusterjack

if the owner doesn't accept responsibility what could possibly be my options.
Options:

1 - Make the claim on your own policy if you have fire coverage (Comprehensive, AKA Other Than Collision).

2 - Sue the shop in small claims court for the cost of repairs.

3 - Pay for it yourself and get on with your life.

4 - Leave the damage as is and get on with your life.

Is that really what you wanted to know?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">