• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cervical Discectomy Malpractice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kickaxeguitars

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN
On May 2, 2003 I had a discectomy (C-6). I have had neck pain on and off for 4-5 years prior to surgery and recieved P.T. on both my neck and back 3 or 4 times prior to surgery.
After surgery, I felt a cramping and burning sensation behind my left shoulder blade. The pain gets worse if I turn my head in certain positions. I made my Doctor aware of my new pain at my one week check-up which he felt I may just be sore from surgery.
After a month, I still had the pain so he started me on P.T.
All the while, I have been on a light duty status at my workplace which I still remain today. After 6 months of the same pain in my shoulder, I was sent for an MRI which looked good. 2 months later I had a Myelogram which was negative (or inconclusive) then finally last week I had an EMG.(I was referred for an EMG at an office visit where my Dr. told me my reflex was week in my Bicep of the left arm during a routine exam. I was actually at the office to hear the results of the Myleogram) The EMG shows poor motor skills in my left hand and unresponsive and poor responding nerves which stem from the C-6 region.
The neurosergon said that I'm not a candidate for another surgery and recommended a pain clinic to me.
I guess in a nut shell, it looks like he some how pinched a nerve during surgery and I am partially debilitaded and still,and maybe never for that matter, may be able to return to my normal work duty.
I have been on pain meds ever since surgery and I generally never get complete relief.
Is this Malpractice or just one of the risks associated with this type of surgery?
I've read the risk factors before I had the surgery but don't recall pinched nerves or permanent pain associated with surgery being risks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">