• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cipro and Rotor Cuff Surgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RMM34667

FLORIDA,

My mother is about to turn 74 and is not very active. She developed sholder pain recently and just assumed it was more arthritis. She had no recolection of an injury or anything. The pain continued and after her second visit to her primary care dr. she was sent to the orthopedic surgeon. She saw him on Monday June 30 and he immediately recommended surgery on her rotor cuff. She went in on July 2nd. They attempted laproscopic surgery but discovered the damage was too sever and had to cut into her to repair. Her surgeon's statement "it was in shreds" meant nothing to us. However, I heard of the FDA warning yesterday as I was driving to pick up my mother for her first physical Therapy session

I was startled by the report since my mother was on cipro a few months back. The medicine made her very sick and after a few days in bed she called her dr. who switched her to Avelox.

I was wondering how someone finds out if the medicine was related to her injury? Will her primary care dr honestly answer her questions since she prescribed the medicine, and missed the true cause of her pain at first? Will the orthopedic surgeon be able to determine the cause of her injury?

I think it will be difficult to convince her to seek legal advice, but this surgery has caused her tremendous pain. She also needs so much care now as she cannot dress herself, or even get out of a chair without assistance.

thanks for any insight.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

lealea1005

FLORIDA,

My mother is about to turn 74 and is not very active. She developed sholder pain recently and just assumed it was more arthritis. She had no recolection of an injury or anything. The pain continued and after her second visit to her primary care dr. she was sent to the orthopedic surgeon. She saw him on Monday June 30 and he immediately recommended surgery on her rotor cuff. She went in on July 2nd. They attempted laproscopic surgery but discovered the damage was too sever and had to cut into her to repair. Her surgeon's statement "it was in shreds" meant nothing to us. However, I heard of the FDA warning yesterday as I was driving to pick up my mother for her first physical Therapy session

I was startled by the report since my mother was on cipro a few months back. The medicine made her very sick and after a few days in bed she called her dr. who switched her to Avelox.

I was wondering how someone finds out if the medicine was related to her injury? Will her primary care dr honestly answer her questions since she prescribed the medicine, and missed the true cause of her pain at first? Will the orthopedic surgeon be able to determine the cause of her injury?

I think it will be difficult to convince her to seek legal advice, but this surgery has caused her tremendous pain. She also needs so much care now as she cannot dress herself, or even get out of a chair without assistance.

thanks for any insight.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

The report just came out less than 24 hours ago, so how would you expect your Mother's PCP to have known about it? It is totally reasonable to her shoulder pain could have been an exacerbation of her arthritis.

Does your Mother have a history of kidney disease or had she prescribed steriods in the past?

Edit to add: The tendon ruptures attributed to flouroquinolones are rare and preventable if the patient is switched to another antibiotic within a few days of the onset of pain. You state your Mother did not develop symptoms for at least 3 months after treatment. You would have to prove that her rotator cuff injury was drectly related to taking the Cipro.

She should feel comfortable in asking her PCP any questions.

Last edited:

RMM34667

I just I must have not explained it correctly, your answers seems to state things I did not intend:

I never said her Primary Care dr should have known of the connection, however she did brush off my mother's complaints of pain in the shoulder. That is what I was referring to as missed. My mother LOVES her Primary Care dr and in her eyes she can do no wrong. I'm not blaming her, just not expecting openess.. In other words I don't think the dr would say.. yeah you should look into that.

I didn't say her symptoms developed after three months, however the rotor cuff injury was diagnosed and treated after three months. It was her SECOND visit to the Primary Care Dr before she was referred to the orthopedic surgeon, so my mother was complaining of the pain for at least two months. Who knows how long she actually was in pain. it wasn't just one day.. oh my shoulder hurts.

The CNN article I read states: "The fluoroquinolones drugs can increase the risk of tendonitis and tendon rupture -- which is about 1 in 100,000 -- by three to four times, according to the FDA's Dr. Renata Albrecht.

"This risk is further increased in those over age 60, in kidney, heart, and lung transplant recipients, and with use of concomitant steroid therapy," the FDA said in a statement."

really doesn't sound too rare to me. No transplant, but has had kidney function issues. I'm not sure about the steroids, but I'll be getting her RX history tonight.

I never said the medication cause her injury, but I asked how does one determine IF the medication caused her injury. If anyone has any professional insight I'd really appreciate it. thanks

lealea1005

Your Mother took Copro for a few days, "several months ago". Since she already had a history of arthritis, it was reasonable for her PCP to wait until the second visit to refer her to orthopedics. I wouldn't considered it "missed". There is no reason her PCP would not be open to your Mother's questions and, if appropriate, advise her to look into the possibility.

My "professional insight" is that the chance that your Mother developed a shredded rotator cuff after taking Cipro for a few days several months ago, would be very rare (1:30,000 is still considered rare).

I asked whether she is/was taking steriods because they also carry the risk of tendon rupture (albeit also rare).

Some of the other medical contributors may have further information/opinions. Perhaps they'll be by.

I hope your Mother feels better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">