• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claimant deceased, does daughter get money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tanjadarling

What is the name of your state?I'm writing from CA, but this is International.

My friend's parents who lived in Germany were both killed in Thailand in the Tsunami last year. While taking care of the estate, my friend found a letter from Down Corning Corporation that her claim was filed and a claim number was given. (silicone/bankruptcy case 95-20512-11-AJS/ 1996).

Now my friend wants to find out the status of the claim, but they would not give her the information. If she tells them that her mom died, does that mean that she will not be awarded any money. In other words, when the claimant dies, does the claim loose its validity?

Thank You! :confused:

seniorjudge

Tanjadarling said:
What is the name of your state?I'm writing from CA, but this is International.

My friend's parents who lived in Germany were both killed in Thailand in the Tsunami last year. While taking care of the estate, my friend found a letter from Down Corning Corporation that her claim was filed and a claim number was given. (silicone/bankruptcy case 95-20512-11-AJS/ 1996).

Now my friend wants to find out the status of the claim, but they would not give her the information. If she tells them that her mom died, does that mean that she will not be awarded any money. In other words, when the claimant dies, does the claim loose its validity?

Thank You! :confused:
US law only.

BelizeBreeze

Tell your friend to contact the German Consulate in:

The Consulate General

6222 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 500
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Tel.: (323) 930-2703
Fax: (323) 930-2805
E mail: [email protected]

or

1960 Jackson Street
San Francisco, CA 94109
Tel.: ( 415 ) 775-1061

You will need a probate attorney with either an office in Germany or with a licensed partner in Germany to file probate.

Any claim or lawsuit passes to the Estate but German law is much different than that in the U.S. and now is mostly governed by the European Community legal reform committee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">