• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Left Out my Oil Filter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debbie0413

What is the name of your state? WI
I hope this post is in the correct category. Today when I went to an oil change pIace I found out that a different oil change place forgot to put in my air filter when I paid them to replace it 2 months ago! I immediately noticed a drop in gas mileage of 3-5 MPG after the oil change and took my car back to the place after about 3-4 weeks to ask them if something they had done anything to cause it (since I had an engine flush and fuel filter change in addtion to the air filter change). The manager gave me an anemic answer that his truck initially lost gas mileage after he got a fuel filter replaced, and they barely looked at my car.

Of course, I want to be compensated for the forgotten oil filter and extra money spent on gas for the last 2 months (I was getting between 23 and 24 MPG before the replacements, and I got only 19-22 MPG afterwards, when it was suggested that I might get as much as 30% better mileage). A bigger concern of mine is if bits of grit or sand got into my unprotected engine to wear down the valves.

What sort of offer from the oil change company should I be asking for? I keep very thorough records, and the oil change shop where I went today documented on my invoice that they found the air filter missing. I don't want to have to take this to small claims court if I don't have to, but I want to stipulate compensation that will not leave me with an ailing engine in the near future. Thank you for any ideas anyone can give me on this.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Assuming the shop believes your story about them "forgetting" the air filter in the first place:

If you actually PAID for your new air filter, you can expect them to install a new air filter. If you never even paid for the air filter, then you might get lucky and have them waive the labor to install an air filter.

You have no damages other than that. Your perceived drop in gas mileage could be attributed to a myriad of other things. And, there is no provable damage to your engine.

debbie0413

Hello, thanks for your reply. I went to the oil change place today. They remember me coming back with the concern about the drop in gas mileage, and they DO admit that they forgot to put in the filter. I have documentation from them to get a free air filter from another shop that has the correct one in stock. I'll just contact the corporate office to see if they offer me anything else for the inconvenience.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Good luck. But keep in mind that they don't have to offer you anything else...can't hurt to talk to them :)

That's cool that they were honest about it. That being the case, maybe they'll give you some coupons or something, but as above poster mentioned, I don't think they are legally obligated to anything. I'm pretty sure you sign your car away when you sign the invoice.

Both myself, and a friend, have had on two separate instances, oil changes where the garage forgot to screw on the oil cap (his case) or didn't tighten it all the way (my case). Ever since then, I always give the car a one-over before leaving the shop. If you don't know much about cars, the garage probably wouldn't mind if you just asked to show them what they did. Everyone makes mistakes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">