• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Computer Company Needs To Be Shut-Down!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LCookie

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I will try to be as brief as possible.
We bought our son a laptop for college. My son wanted a "very good" laptop that would last him through college and graduate school. He decided on an Alienware. When it was delivered, there was no operating disk, which was suppose to be with the computer. He had to wait three weeks for this disk. and moments after installing same, the computer locked up! There were several noticeable problems with the computer, especially getting so hot, it would burn his hand. In order to type on any laptop, both hands must be on the top of the computer but he could not put his left hand down, in the typing position, (because of the heat). After placing several long distance calls to Alienware on his cell phone, he sent it back to be fixed. He sent them a list along with the computer of the problems that needed to be addressed. He also emailed the same list to Alienware, just in case the list got lost in the shuffle. He received the computer 2 weeks later, telling him the computer was fixed. The same problems occurred minutes after using the computer, including the heat problem. Again, he had to place several calls to Alienware telling them the problems had not been fixed. He told them he only had a years' warranty, and needed the problems fixed asap. Again, they requested him to send the computer back for repairs. (Each time, my son had to go to a specialty store that dealt with packing the computer correctly for shipping.)This time, Alienware kept the computer for 3 weeks, and returned it to him with the resolution of replacing the graphics card, (which had nothing to do with any of the problems listed.) Again, several calls had to be placed to Alienware. Once again, Alienware requested he send it back for repairs. They kept the computer for 2 1/2 weeks, and again, none of the problems were fixed. My son noticed there was another person's personal information on the computer, including their customer ID. 6 phone calls later to Alienware, they finally decided that my son had received the computer that he had originally purchased and the other perons's information had accidentally been placed on his computer. Emails were sent to the president of Alienware, explaining the difficulties in getting the computer fixed, but no replies were forthcoming. My son was finally able to to contact someone with authority, at Alienware, and the only thing this person was able to say, over and over again was " We are only prepared to replace the computer, and build you another one! My son told her he wanted his money back. Why would he want another faulty computer? After telling her another person's personal information had "accidentally" been put on his computer, and it was a breech of confidentiality, the supervisor said that she would give him his money back. I asked the supervisor if they would charge a 15% restocking fee, (I had read of all the complaints on the internet related to Alienware) and the supervisor wasn't sure.
1. Alienware has not fulfilled their warranty, committing fraud, because they
never did fix any problems with the computer, especially the heat.
2. The customer service SUCKS! That is the reason why my son had to place
several calls to Alienware, instead of just one.
3. Breech of confidentiality, placing someone elses information on my son's
computer.
4. Customer service calling my son a liar! (Alienware requested my son to
send to power cord with the computer the last time he sent it to Alienware
Since Alienware uses Fed Ex, he was able to track it on-line. He noticed
the package weighed 5 lbs less coming from Alienware, then the original
weight of the package going to Alienware. The power cord actually
weighs 5 lb. The supervisor called my son a liar, stating he never sent the
power cord!)
5. The Most Important! I was using the computer, and had a newspaper
beside the computer along with several other papers, and had to leave the
room for a few minutes to answer the door. I smelled something burning,
and ran up the stairs to find the papers sitting beside the computer on fire!
I tried to put the fire out, separating the papers with my hands, before the
walls caught on fire. I didn't have anthing to beat the flames out with,
except my hands, and I didn't want to lose my home! Anyway, I got the
fire put out (there were no candles, ashtrays, or anything that could have
caused the fire except the computer, and it's heat problem, not realizing it
could possibly cause a fire) My hands have second degree burns, and I am
unable to go to work. I am a nurse, and do to health regulations, I can not
treat patients with both hands wrapped!

My son has told Alienware several times, that the computer was over-heating, and no, the computer did not short-out with the fire. I have also read on the internet of all the complaints people have had with Alienware, (one search engine alone, had over 244,000 complaints!) I would like to sue Alienware for $10,000,000 for negligence, failure to comply with their warranty, personal injury, and shut them down personally! Do I need to sue Alienware, or does my son, since the computer was given to him, but we purchased it?

What do you think?
thank you,
L Cookie

You know nothing about computers.

There was no operating disk? Do you mean there was no operating system installed (which is an option some ppl want) or do you mean it was missing its hard drive or do you mean they didn't send the OS recovery disk?

The laptop runs hot... First of all its called a notebook for the reason that they dont want you putting them on your lap because they run hot. This is normal for high end notebooks (my Dell XPS Gen 2 can burn the skin if not careful).

Just to let you know Alienware is rated as one of the top of the line computer products and was also rated #1 or #2 for customer service. You obviously are not an IT smart person because you quoted search results as damning evidence of how bad the product is, but you do realize that if I type in Alienware problem that about 90% of the results won't actually be about Alienware problems right.

mrmass

I also can't see anything wrong with the computer from here. But let me say one thing. An Alienware notebook is not a good computer to do college stuff, unless you have special requirements and you are willing to pay the price. All of us who own high powered Alienware notebooks or the Dell XPS series know that these things get very hot, are heavy, have shortlasting battery power and often come with bleeding edge hardware that might not be working in a stable fashion when the product was just released.
The computer getting burning hot is not a defect, and someone who doesn't understand the issues I just mentioned probably doesn't need a machine like that. wasted money.

BelizeBreeze

Alienware is what everyone of my people use and I have orders for three more. ALL laptops get hot. THat's why we also buy cooler stands for them.

And I won't buy any other laptop except the high-end Viaos.

That being said, is there a legal issue anywhere in this thread?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">