• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contaminated gasoline

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nuernbam

What is the name of your state? Massachussets (but event took place in Maine)

I filled up at what I later found out was a brand new gas station that apparently had just buried its tanks a couple days prior. My car stalled out a few minutes after driving away, and the "check engine" light came on as soon as I left the station as well. After having to have my car towed 200 miles when the local mechanic did not feel comfortable with my make of car, I found out that the gas system was full of water which presumably came from the gas station's lines. Between towing and repairs, I expect about $2000 in bills. I want the gas station to pay for it. I, of course, think this is a straightforward claim, but I have no experience at all in legal matters like this. Do you always write a demand letter first? Given that this occurred in a different state, what happens if I need to file a suit? Do I need a lawyer in Maine? I have my gas receipt and tow receipts and can probably get documentation of my calls to AAA and my insurance company. I'm not sure how else I can prove fault... do I need more evidence about the tanks at the gas station??

Thank you.

BelizeBreeze

You would have to prove negligence and do so in Maine. In other words, unless you have Thousands more than what you are out, forget it.

your chances of winning such a suit are 'watered-down' at best :D

racer72

Of course you saved all the "contaminated gasoline" and had a sample tested by a licensed labratory to confirm exactly what was in your gas tank?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">