• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CPSC and foreign products

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

idealady

What is the name of your state?

GA

I am a small business owner looking to carry a product made in Chezk Republic that is already for sale in the United States. It is not tested for US standards requirements. The item is defined by the seller to not be a toy; however, it is sold by them in a toy store, marketed in toy/kids magazines, and found in some other toy stores in the nation. The item could possibly fit in the "tube" test requirement in the ASTM 963 standards.

The product is constructed of wood in various colors in the shape of animals/bugs. It can contain small parts and is attached to a lengthy spring about 1/2 inch in diameter.

I have been in contact with the CPSC and have been informed that should a liability issue arise for this product, I could be sued by both plaintiff and the CPSC.

There are six or more items I would like to resell. I cannot afford to have the product tested for the US market....and the importer seems unwilling to do so. Also, I do not want to carry the expense for their benefit.

It is in my belief that carrying this product would at least double my current sales. I am looking for help in determining the risk factor for reselling this type of product. Obviously others are selling this item already.

Please advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">