• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

crushed oxycontin in g-tube

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

midnitesshadow

pennsylvania
My mother was recently diagnosed with a tumor in her lung the size of a fist. It is non-small cell carcinoma. She was put in the hospital after being treated for acid reflux by her family doc. for 3 months. I insisted he put her in and find out what was wrong with her. My question is this, I think my father has a legal case here. When the family doc released my mom from hospital, (she left with a feeding tube because she was not able to swallow well, the family doc. prescribed 1-2 tablets every 12 hours of oxycontin. We were to crush it and put it in feeding tube. From what I have heard this can kill a person? The nurse that came to the house the next day told us to stop. We have since gotten a new family doc. Any suggestions? Also when family doc released my mom, he did not say anything about a follow up visit. This whole thing has been a nitemare from the time she starting having symptoms.
Thanks

vrzirn

It is not the Oxycontin that may kill your mother-it is the cancer that will. NSCLC has an extremely poor prognosis. Possibly, at this point, the doctor believes that any treatment would be palliative. and the tumor is inoperable.
I do not see any reason for discontinuing the medication and letting your mother suffer needlessly! In fact, she may soon require something stronger. You might inquire about a fentanyl patch or morphine sulphate.Another palliative option is fractional radiotherapy. I would guess your mother has a long history of heavy smoking.
Any serious illness that strikes a family member is always a nightmare for the entire family. Unfortunately, a common reaction is to try to place blame somewhere, somehow, on the doctor.
In my opinion, in this instance, you have no legal cause.
Your mother may request her medical records and have them reviewed by an attorney.

Last edited:
M

midnitesshadow

I am not trying to place the blame on anyone. I know a doctor does not cause cancer. My mother is doing quite well and her prognosis is very good. My reason for being upset is the old doctor released her from the hospital with me administering a drug to her that could have possibly killed her, therefore taking away any chances she may have. As of now, she is undergoing radiation to shrink the tumor, she had an appointment yesterday with the new family doc. She is progressing very well, and he feels after radiation, if needed they will remove the tumor. The cancer has not spread. it is localized to the tumor (Thank god).
But everything I have been hearing so much about oxycontin that I don't know how I would have lived with myself if anything would have happened while I gave her it. I don't necessarily think I have a lawsuit, I just can't believe a doctor can prescribe that.
I would never stop giving her medication and leave her in unnecessary pain. The medication was changed. She is very comfortable and improving greatly.

Thank you

S

SZQ_Public

I think you were very lucky! Oxycontin is a time released opiate. Crushing the pill bypasses the time release process, delivering all the medication at once. It can be leathal. The effects are the same as heroin. Depending on the strenght of the pill (they come in 10, 20, 40, 80 and 160 MG) it could surpress the respitory system - the same as heroin!

Did this dr actually give you written instruction on crushing the pill?

I'd talk to the pharmacy, they can give you all the details on oxycontin.

M

midnitesshadow

I have the release papers from the hospital. It says to give her 1 to 2 tablets Via g-tube every 12 hours. I believe the dose was 10mg. My mother weighed 90 lbs when she left the hospital. Also, I believe they were crushing it in the hospital. My mom couldn't swallow as a result of the tumor pushing into her esophagus. That was the reason for the G-Tube. Since radiation has started, she is now able to swallow. Thank God! But she is on vicoden for pain. Right from the beginning of this, this doctor just did not seem interested. I got the feeling when he released her, (With no follow up visit ordered, also on the hospital release form) that he was sending her home to die. Thank Goodness another doctor took her!! She is responding very well according to him to the treatment she is receiving. He is even talking surgery now.
Thanks for listening. I don't know how I would have lived with myself if I came her medicine and something awful happened to her.!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">