• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customer Declined Repairs - Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SpawnedX

My concern was simply being held liable if something were to happen with the brakes due to the rotor thickness since I would be the last one who touched it by putting brake pads on. As a state safety inspector, I know that the rotors in themselves do not pass the state requirements, but since it was not in for a state inspection and just a pad slap, I didn't want to be held accountable for something done against my recommendations. A mechanic recently was arrested and charged for inspecting a vehicle and passing it and then having the lines blow out not too long after causing the death of the car owner.

http://www.wptz.com/news/dmv-mechanic-charged-with-manslaughter-in-drivers-death/34659076

Being a mechanic is not exactly a great life, we have multiple tens of thousands of dollars we had to invest into tools, get paid by an often abused pay system and have a negative reputation associated with our career, much as lawyers do. I don't need to also risk my family's financial security for a random person either.

justalayman

Then your entire question is moot. You have made your decision regardless of what is right, wrong, or somewhere in between.

tablo

You, as a business, can't force people to accept fixes on their car. It's their fault if something happens.

OHRoadwarrior

In that case he was paid to inspect a car. Everyone should know the brake lines on a vehicle that old in the north need replaced and inspect them.

quincy

... It's their fault if something happens.
I can say that what I have quoted above of your post, tablo, is not always true - not that this matters much if all in this thread is a hypothetical.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">